Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Tires, Factory Tire Carrier

Old 04-27-2012, 06:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tires, Factory Tire Carrier

Just got my new tires, 35x12.50x17, mounted on the factory Rubicon wheels. Huge improvement!!!! I am running the Spidertrax wheel spacers. Here is my problem. The guys at Discount Tire could not get the spare mounted to the factory carrier. I thought it would fit, not ideal due to the increased size, but thought it would fit. I am going out to the garage tonight to have a go at it. If it will not go, what are my options? I have a new carrier in the plan, but not for another couple months. I know I have read that folks are carrying a 35 on the factory carrier, but perhaps it is not possible with the factory wheels???? Those that carry a 35, how are you doing it on the stock carrier?

Thanks,
Brent
Old 04-27-2012, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brent13
Just got my new tires, 35x12.50x17, mounted on the factory Rubicon wheels. Huge improvement!!!! I am running the Spidertrax wheel spacers. Here is my problem. The guys at Discount Tire could not get the spare mounted to the factory carrier. I thought it would fit, not ideal due to the increased size, but thought it would fit. I am going out to the garage tonight to have a go at it. If it will not go, what are my options? I have a new carrier in the plan, but not for another couple months. I know I have read that folks are carrying a 35 on the factory carrier, but perhaps it is not possible with the factory wheels???? Those that carry a 35, how are you doing it on the stock carrier?

Thanks,
Brent
Yeah that size tire has been on my jeep for years and no problem, i did buy some after market tire bumps that support it better from daystar, the stock ones are a little short once you mount it, you will see what i mean.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

I just tried to wrestle that big bastard on, damn thing won't clear the bumper!!!!! WTF! My next idea is to deflate the tire, and then try to mount. Makes no sense, the tire hit the bumper at the bottom. Do I need to remove the third brake light. Hits there also, but seems if I lift high enougn to hit the light, I am then to high for the carrier lugs.

Brent
Old 04-27-2012, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I believe some ppl deflate the tire. Also some put another wheel spacer on the stock carrier, like a spider trax. And a couple companies sell adapter plates that mount to the stock carrier and move the wheel up a couple of inches.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr. Satan
I believe some ppl deflate the tire. Also some put another wheel spacer on the stock carrier, like a spider trax. And a couple companies sell adapter plates that mount to the stock carrier and move the wheel up a couple of inches.
^this. the adapters push the tire out and up, but be careful because the rattles can bend the tailgate. use the daystar bumpstops to replace the factory ones so they will keep the tire from moving around too much. factory wheels have too much backspacing with big tires.

Last edited by Bosox5; 04-27-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:29 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the tips, got it mounted. I deflated completely, and wrestled it on, not easy! I will put some air in it tomorrow and see if the gate will still open and close. I am doubtful, as it hangs up on the bumper while deflated. Worst case, I carry it flat and air it up if and when I need the spare. My next mod is a carrier, two months or so. Was leaning towards a bumper/carrier combo, but may lean towards just a carrier now, as long as the gate opens with the carrier.

Thanks,
Brent
Old 04-27-2012, 11:22 PM
JK Newbie

Ive been running the teraflex spare tire reloction plate for 6 months with no issues. it moves the tire up 1.5" and out only 1/2 an inch. I am able to run my 315/70/17 on stock moabs with this spacer.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:48 PM
JK Newbie

I've been using a relocate bracket for 9 months with no issues. Have my Daystars but never put them on - the welds are solid. It's really a vehicle specific thing - some have good welds, some don't. Then again, my 35 is light (Duratrac) so that saves some heartache vice, say, a Toyo.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not running 35's (only stock Rubi tires) but like others have posted, there are spacers that mount to the factory tire carrier and move the tire out and up a few inches. Good luck and hope you find something that works.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Your main enemy from now, weight.... In this forum I was confirmed by some people that 35 is OK on tailgate, so I just bought rear bumper from ARB... Mine tailgate started to sound badly after 4 month.... So through away new bumper? Then I shifted to OR FAB carrier - so happy now!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3656777813.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	310109

Quick Reply: New Tires, Factory Tire Carrier