Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Tires Chalk Test, 23 PSI seems very low

Old 02-26-2013, 03:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good point, I did it cold. For the drive to work today I aired them them up to 30 PSI because I have to pick up 3 other guys I carpool with, so with the extra weight, and going on the freeway, I figured better safe than sorry. I will do the chalk test again with warm tires and see what I come up with.

Separate question:

When airing down for the trail, would having 3 passengers (2 door) effect how low you go because of the extra weight? I have not aired down for a trail yet, I just got a compressor yesterday and am looking forward to being able to do it. I have read that 12 PSI is about as low as you want to go without bead locks, but is 12 PSI too low with the added weight of 3 passengers?
Old 04-02-2013, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Airing down depends a lot on the terrain. Sand vs rock vs mud etc. However, that being said, extra weight will make a difference in how much sidewall flex you wind up with. It will aslo depend on the tire. Some tires will have more sidewall flex than others. 12 psi is somewhat arbitrary, but I wouldn't personally go below that without beadlocks.

Quick Reply: New Tires Chalk Test, 23 PSI seems very low