Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

new tires/behavior?

Old 06-11-2012, 10:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new tires/behavior?

So I recently threw on Wild Peak 285/70/17 on M/T Sidebitters and the ride is rather harsh. Aired down the tires to 33 psi, and had them balanced. Since putting them on, I noticed the steering wheel off-center and bumps tossing me around. Is there anything I've missed, or should be doing to make it more forgiving. I can even feel play on the clutch on bumps. Should I air down more, have them rebalanced again? Reinforce anything? I commute most of the week to the train station so it isn't to bad, but the highway and daily driving makes me worry about wearing down the front end.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by enwhypetey
So I recently threw on Wild Peak 285/70/17 on M/T Sidebitters and the ride is rather harsh. Aired down the tires to 33 psi, and had them balanced. Since putting them on, I noticed the steering wheel off-center and bumps tossing me around. Is there anything I've missed, or should be doing to make it more forgiving. I can even feel play on the clutch on bumps. Should I air down more, have them rebalanced again? Reinforce anything? I commute most of the week to the train station so it isn't to bad, but the highway and daily driving makes me worry about wearing down the front end.

Just changing to that size tire shouldnt make a difference like that. Could it be out of alignment? Sounds like they didnt balance the tires to well. I would take it back to shop who did the work. Not like it is a drastically tall tire, although not sure what you started with
Old 06-12-2012, 05:34 AM
JK Newbie

I didn't think it was change much either. That was my next move...the place i had them balanced was a large tire shop that just spits you out. Afterwards i went to my mechanic and the alignment was fine. I think i'm just going to have him do it. Thanks

Quick Reply: new tires/behavior?