Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Tires?

Old 08-08-2013, 09:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrJamesKlein
You've done a great job with her! As for the logo did you spray that too? or buy the black replacement one? and with the treadwright's I would need spacers? Because i was looking into 1.5's anyway. I'm thinking of getting a 2.5 lift thrown on it too...
Thanks man! I forgot you had aftermarket 17's so you would probably not need spacers. What are the backspacing on those rockstars? 4.5" backspacing or less is recommended. 2.5" lift and 35's is perfect combo in my eyes. THe decals in the 3rd pic are stock decals

Last edited by kh202; 08-08-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kh202
Thanks man! I forgot you had aftermarket 17's so you would probably not need spacers. What are the backspacing on those rockstars? 4.5" backspacing or less is recommended. 2.5" lift and 35's is perfect combo in my eyes. And all the logos you see are decals, not sure which one you're referring to. One is an Element Offroad decal (local MD club) and the JK one is the new JK-Forum decal
The Jeep emblem on the front of the grill. The one that is chrome on stock Jeeps, did you spray it or just buy the black one. And I'm not sure about my back spacing, Where can I find it? I've been riding around in my Grandmother's '13 Rubicon for the past 2 months, my 07 (the one ill be doing the work to) is getting a new engine. Not sure if you heard of the turbo diesel engines, I was going to try and convince them to help me out a little bit seeing they cost 8K, but she's going to have a brand new engine in her. Back on topic, if its just a stock back spacing would I be ok? and how do the retreads run, they wont fly off like the ones on the big 18 wheelers right?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:32 AM
JK Junkie

The Jeep emblem on the front of the grill. The one that is chrome on stock Jeeps, did you spray it or just buy the black one. And I'm not sure about my back spacing, Where can I find it? I've been riding around in my Grandmother's '13 Rubicon for the past 2 months, my 07 (the one ill be doing the work to) is getting a new engine. Not sure if you heard of the turbo diesel engines, I was going to try and convince them to help me out a little bit seeing they cost 8K, but she's going to have a brand new engine in her. Back on topic, if its just a stock back spacing would I be ok? and how do the retreads run, they wont fly off like the ones on the big 18 wheelers right?
oh yeah I just bedlined over it with the grill. Looks like the rockstars are 4.5" backspacing (quick search), so you should not need spacers. Have fun with that engine swap! Doing the work yourself?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:45 AM
JK Newbie

oh yeah I just bedlined over it with the grill. Looks like the rockstars are 4.5" backspacing (quick search), so you should not need spacers. Have fun with that engine swap! Doing the work yourself?
No I wish. I'm only 17 and don't have room go park in the garage. I'm getting into it though, my dad did his own work on his Rubi, then he screwed up on a lift and had to get rid of it! I do most of my own interior and minor exterior work though. How about yourself?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:49 AM
JK Junkie

No I wish. I'm only 17 and don't have room go park in the garage. I'm getting into it though, my dad did his own work on his Rubi, then he screwed up on a lift and had to get rid of it! I do most of my own interior and minor exterior work though. How about yourself?
I mean the engine swap. Cuz if you're not, definitely gonna be more than $8000 But yeah, I did the lift and transfercase swap with the help of some fellow Jeepers with tools and a garage. Highly recommend you try to do the same with the lift. Nothing to it really. Surely someone on here is closeby you and would help you out for a cold case of beer purchased and delivered by a legal adult
Old 08-08-2013, 09:57 AM
JK Newbie

I mean the engine swap. Cuz if you're not, definitely gonna be more than $8000 But yeah, I did the lift and transfercase swap with the help of some fellow Jeepers with tools and a garage. Highly recommend you try to do the same with the lift. Nothing to it really. Surely someone on here is closeby you and would help you out for a cold case of beer purchased and delivered by a legal adult
Hahaha, yeah I'd love too do that. Just a matter of convincing my Grandfather (who I live with) on letting me lift it. He was an engineer and thinks it ruins the car. yeah maybe if youre taking hairpin turns at 60 miles an hour lol. But Jeeping runs in my family (dad and uncle and grandmother, shes on her second, no wheeling though haha) now my dad has moved onto Harley's and uncle onto classics. I'm staying put with the Jeeps. Just hard to find good wheeling spots in Mass. Everything is illegal even ATVs. I see you're from Tennessee. I'm hoping to go to school down there, Been once and I love it. I cant wait to move down south, the north sucks, especially for me seeing i love guns which theyre trying to outlaw, jeeps, which theres no where good to ride them, and the southern states! Also on the bedliner, where'd you buy it? I'm going to do a search and see what kind. You said Rustoleom right?
Old 08-08-2013, 10:06 AM
JK Junkie

Hahaha, yeah I'd love too do that. Just a matter of convincing my Grandfather (who I live with) on letting me lift it. He was an engineer and thinks it ruins the car. yeah maybe if youre taking hairpin turns at 60 miles an hour lol. But Jeeping runs in my family (dad and uncle and grandmother, shes on her second, no wheeling though haha) now my dad has moved onto Harley's and uncle onto classics. I'm staying put with the Jeeps. Just hard to find good wheeling spots in Mass. Everything is illegal even ATVs. I see you're from Tennessee. I'm hoping to go to school down there, Been once and I love it. I cant wait to move down south, the north sucks, especially for me seeing i love guns which theyre trying to outlaw, jeeps, which theres no where good to ride them, and the southern states! Also on the bedliner, where'd you buy it? I'm going to do a search and see what kind. You said Rustoleom right?
Yeah I'm from PA, then moved to MD last year for work, and this work assignment has me in TN since February of this year. I like it, nice change of pace. As for a lift, with the 7"" wider stance (1"" per side with the tires and wheels that stick out 2.5"" further than stock), i don't think my Jeep is just as stable now with lift and mud terrains as it was stock.

You can pick up the Rustoluem bedliner spray at lowes for like $8 a can. I'd get 2-3 just to make sure you have enough, tho 2 is probably good. I used a 3M stripping pad (looks like an abrillo pad) to scuff up the paint for better adhesion. I also recommend you practice a coat or two on a piece of scrap metal or wood first. It sprays a lot different than spray paint, but once you get how far to hold the can, it's pretty forgiving vs paint.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:15 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah I'm from PA, then moved to MD last year for work, and this work assignment has me in TN since February of this year. I like it, nice change of pace. As for a lift, with the 7"" wider stance (1"" per side with the tires and wheels that stick out 2.5"" further than stock), i don't think my Jeep is just as stable now with lift and mud terrains as it was stock.

You can pick up the Rustoluem bedliner spray at lowes for like $8 a can. I'd get 2-3 just to make sure you have enough, tho 2 is probably good. I used a 3M stripping pad (looks like an abrillo pad) to scuff up the paint for better adhesion. I also recommend you practice a coat or two on a piece of scrap metal or wood first. It sprays a lot different than spray paint, but once you get how far to hold the can, it's pretty forgiving vs paint.
I will that sounds great. Did you do it for the hinges too? I was looking into doing it as well. How many coats did you give the grill? And if I lift it when I get the 35s, do you think ill need any spacers to widen it?
Old 08-08-2013, 10:17 AM
JK Junkie

I will that sounds great. Did you do it for the hinges too? I was looking into doing it as well. How many coats did you give the grill? And if I lift it when I get the 35s, do you think ill need any spacers to widen it?
I think I did about 3-4 coats. And no, with 4.5" of backspacing you wouldn't need spacers.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:19 AM
JK Newbie

I think I did about 3-4 coats. And no, with 4.5" of backspacing you wouldn't need spacers.
Awesome. You recommend the bed liner over the matte automotive paint though right?

Quick Reply: New Tires?