Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Teraflex Lower Control arms install?

Old 07-30-2009, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Teraflex Lower Control arms install?

I installed new teraflex front lower control arms last night and after I installed it with the gold ball side to the axle both my Zerk's face up, I have the option of moving them to face down. On previous postings I saw a lot of people posting that the driver side Zerk should face down and the passenger side Zerk should face up, this must have been with the previous production models right? When I took my stock control arms out I made sure that the teraflex arms angles lined up when I installed them and I got both Zerk's facing up. Is there anyone out there that experienced the same thing, I just want to confirm that I have this correctly installed?

Another question, I have a 4" lift and set my control arm length eye to eye to
23", is this good or should I push it up to 24"?

Thanks again for all your help!

Last edited by Fergor; 07-30-2009 at 07:25 AM. Reason: more info
Old 07-30-2009, 07:36 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fergor
I installed new teraflex front lower control arms last night and after I installed it with the gold ball side to the axle both my Zerk's face up, I have the option of moving them to face down. On previous postings I saw a lot of people posting that the driver side Zerk should face down and the passenger side Zerk should face up, this must have been with the previous production models right? IWhen I took my stock control arms out I made sure that the teraflex arms angles lined up when I installed them and I got both Zerk's facing up. Is there anyone out there that experienced the same thing, I just want to confirm that I have this correctly installed?

I have mine set at 23 1/4, it's good to start at 23 then see where your at. Then increase by 1/8 in increments
Old 07-30-2009, 08:22 AM
JK Super Freak

I installed new teraflex front lower control arms last night and after I installed it with the gold ball side to the axle both my Zerk's face up, I have the option of moving them to face down. On previous postings I saw a lot of people posting that the driver side Zerk should face down and the passenger side Zerk should face up, this must have been with the previous production models right? When I took my stock control arms out I made sure that the teraflex arms angles lined up when I installed them and I got both Zerk's facing up. Is there anyone out there that experienced the same thing, I just want to confirm that I have this correctly installed?

My front are zerk down on driver, zerk up on passenger. I must have an older model. My fronts are at 23.25.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

Curious about how long this took to do install? I am getting ready to buy TF
Old 07-30-2009, 08:52 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

"Gold-ball end" on the axle is correct (based on TF's clarification a while back). I have mine the other way, and maybe someday should turn them around. LOL. As for the Zerks--some say to leave them up to provide protection if you skid them along the rocks. I can attest to skidding them along the rocks ...

Old 07-30-2009, 08:55 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by chilidipper
I had TORN's help when I did mine and it took us an hour or hour and a half, at most. The hardest part is torquing everything down to 125 foot-pounds--that's a lot more force than you may realize. Make certain you have a good, long torque wrench before tackling this job. We also used a bottle jack to get the axle into the correct position after pulling the stock LCAs.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by chilidipper
Took me 1 hour, but a buddy of mine have a hoist.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

I put mine on zerks up, but I cut out a small notch in the mount to be able to grease them without taking them off.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I set mine to the dimensions that were on the sheet that came in the box with the arms. For a 4 door it said the front uppers should be set to 19.5" and the front lowers set to 24". I took the setscrew out of the opposite side of the gold ball and moved the zerk to the bottom.

Quick Reply: New Teraflex Lower Control arms install?