Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Superchips Flashpaq in hand. Wife has Jeep. Argh!

Old 12-04-2009, 07:47 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Superchips Flashpaq in hand. Wife has Jeep. Argh!

My Superships Flashpaq came in today. I'm at home (im)patiently reading the manual and updating it while my wife has the Jeep at book club.

Fear I'll go crazy waiting (tick, tock, tick, tock, ...).
Old 12-04-2009, 10:40 PM
Foo
JK Enthusiast

I love my superchip!

It made my Jeep peppy with 35's. No re-gear for me! So $300 or $1500. I'll take the $300.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jnorton1
Let us now impressions Im still on the fence. $300 seems like a lot. Im debating between this and winch. The upside for the superchips to me is it is something I can use everyday as opposed to a winch.
It is probably the best $300 you can spend to optimize engine and shifting (auto) performance.

Having used other programmers in the past, I didn't let my 3 Benjamins go easily, because I wanted so many suspension and wheel parts.
I delayed the purchase of my full size spare, which put a temporary crimp on my offroad adventures, AND it was worth sacrifice and every penny.

I hope Superchips continues to create more performance profiles!
Old 12-04-2009, 11:55 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Ok, I'm back from a 2-hour drive, tune, drive, tune, drive, etc. session. All at 10 deg F out. Froze my *ss off while the Jeep was turned off and the Flashpaq was applying a tune.

I've never used a tuner before, but I thought it was kind of a klunky process. I doubt this has anything to do with Superchips and is likely just the way an ECU has to be programmed.

A few quick comments,

- Updated the Flashpaq before connecting it to the Jeep
- I tried the "quick speedo" adjustment first to set my tire size, followed the directions carefully, restarted the Jeep and got a 0 reading on the speedometer
- I then applied the "87 tune" got a message that said something like "speedo applied" and the speedometer worked now
- Stomped on the gas win the 87 tune and uncontrollably said, "Holy sh!t" with a big grin.
- Tried several times to use the quick tire/speedo adjustment with mixed results. About half of the time, I ended up with the speedometer reading 0. Sometimes shutting the jeep off and restarting it would correct the problem. Sometimes not.
- Given the "0 mph" readings above, it took a while to get the right tire size into the Flashpaq to correct my speedo. Ended up getting it spot-on compared to my GPS but it took a lot longer than I thought it would (see fantasy below)
- With the "87 octane" tune I could tell that it was conservative about going into overdrive. When it had to (cruise control at 55 on a hill), it felt like the transition was smoother and less noticeable.

I had envisioned the tire/speedo calibration being more interactive and real time. E.g., stick in a guess at tire size, set the cruise at 75 MPH on the jeep, refer to the GPS for actual speed, and adjust tire size in real time. In reality, you can do the quick tire/speedo change but it still requires you to turn off the jeep, go back and forth in key positions a few times, make your setting, etc. I didn't time this, but I'm guessing 3 mins.

More observations later when I get some more driving time on it.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Wait till you try 91 performance.......you will wet yourself!
Old 12-05-2009, 10:24 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by jnorton1
Let us now impressions Im still on the fence. $300 seems like a lot. Im debating between this and winch. The upside for the superchips to me is it is something I can use everyday as opposed to a winch.
Don't really know how anybody could "still be on the fence" about weather or not to get the Flaspaq.......especially after the over 1000 posts about them where almost everybody loves them....???
Old 12-05-2009, 11:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Foo
I love my superchip!

It made my Jeep peppy with 35's. No re-gear for me! So $300 or $1500. I'll take the $300.

I might feel the same way. Just did my install today and it feels darn good with just the 87 program. But I still just turn off the OD. But I COULD live with it this way.
I know having the speedo set correctly is nice again also.
I'm going to give it a week and then go the the ultimate setting I keep reading about.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:59 AM
JK Jedi

Can't wait to get mine purchased the Superchips and Airraid CAI from AtlJK!
Old 12-05-2009, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

What would happen if I put the Flashpaq on my stock JK sport?
Old 12-05-2009, 03:52 PM
JK Junkie

Here is 1100+ opinions:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ht=impressions

IT WILL PERFORM BETTER !

Quick Reply: New Superchips Flashpaq in hand. Wife has Jeep. Argh!