Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New steering upgrade questions?

Old 11-13-2018, 03:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New steering upgrade questions?

Ok so I bought my first jk about 8 months ago while I was working in Tennessee, didn’t think much about it the thing was basically stock. Wasn’t till later on I realized it was a Canadian Jeep and had been registered up north all it’s life. Well this past weekend I had a 3.5” Rubicon Express put on by 4 wheel parts and they informed my how bad everything under there was rusted out! When they went to pull the springs out two of them broke into! They got it all back together ok but informed me that my drag link and all my steering parts were in pretty bad shape, so my question is what can I replace them with that will be better than stock???
Old 11-13-2018, 03:50 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I highly recommend running the Synergy steering parts. They use a better than stock quality joint, have a durable powdercoat finish, and can be adjusted on the vehicle same as stock. They will not rust out as easily as the stock ones did, and are more resistant to denting than your factory units if you hit the trails hard.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:00 PM
JK Newbie

Ok that sounds good thanks for the info I will definitely look into them.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:02 PM
JK Newbie

Also what steering stabilizer kit would you recommend running? I liked the way the fox 2.0 looked in pics wanted something beefy.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:33 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

There are many quality companies to look at so don't limit your search, but I'm running Synergy components as well.

At 3.5", have you considered a draglink flip? Spend a few minutes researching it so you have an idea if you want to go ahead and flip while you are replacing those components.

The stock steering stabilizer actually gets very favorable reviews. But if you are just looking to throw money at it for the visual, go for it. (and if you want some laughs, grab one of the dual stabilizer setups...)

Last edited by nthinuf; 11-13-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Another vote for Synergy. I'm running their drag link, tie rod, track bar, and front lower control arms.

Love their stuff.

As a side note, I hit a deer on the highway going 70mph. Hit it with the front bumper and then ran it over. The steering components took a direct hit, but nothing was damaged or even needed adjusted. Super happy with it.

Edit: I also have a set of their ball joints, and a sector shaft/track bar brace,but haven't installed them yet.

Last edited by tjkamp; 11-13-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

For those that are resourceful, I'd personally build a solid aluminum TR like what member Bora Bora outlined not long ago. You could source the parts and assemble yourself for ~$150 if I recall. That said, I think you're probably just wanting something easy to slap on. I'm not quite as big of a Synergy fan myself, although I still have their TR on mine from years back. You do pay for their adjustability feature, and I'd also submit that alignment shops still seem to remove the whole damn end old school style regardless....even when I tell them to use the sleeve!

Seriously look at a high steer kit like nthinuf mentioned. You're a good candidate and it does make a difference. Will say one nice thing about the Synergy DL is it can be used mounted either as factory, or as a flipped/high steer.

I really don't get why people blow 3 bills on a Fox SS. It's about as necessary and sexy as taping 3 $100 bills to your TR and driving down the road like that. Overkill and money is better spent elsewhere. The factory or cheapest non-gas charged SS is perfectly fine. If you think you have a bad ride and are getting all sorts of feedback that you need a fancy SS, what you REALLY need to do is figure out the source of your issues and not try to just cover them up.

If you haven't already, might consider a SS relocation bracket to get it above the TR rather than below. Don't forget a new clamp for the new TR side.

Do you have some sort of caster correction on that 3.5" lift? Do you have an aftermarket front DS yet?
Old 11-14-2018, 07:19 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfreeman00
Also what steering stabilizer kit would you recommend running? I liked the way the fox 2.0 looked in pics wanted something beefy.
As others have said, the stock stabilizer is up to par for the task, even with larger than stock tires, but the Performance 2.0 Stabilizer from FOX is a good upgrade if yours is currently leaking.

The reason why people spend $300-400 on a stabilizer is the ability to have adjustment of the steering stiffness they prefer. To some, that doesn't matter, and thats cool! But, if you are someone who likes to have a dial on everything, its worth the $$$.

Teraflex has the Falcon Steering Stabilizers which are also very well priced, with the same idea as FOX.

You can always hit me up for special pricing on all of these items.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:26 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Synergy high steer kit with a ruff stuff tie rod listed in the Marketplace -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/market/348374

You may or may not be interested in making an offer on all or just the synergy part of it. IDK, just pointing out an option.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:22 PM
JK Newbie

I haven’t looked in to this high steering setup yet, idk nothing about what it is or what it does? I’ll see what I can find out

Quick Reply: New steering upgrade questions?