Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Steering Stabilizer

Old 10-29-2008, 08:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Steering Stabilizer

Okay so my Steering Stabilizer broke on my JK and the dealer won't replace it without charging me $200. I'm just going to replace it myself. What kind should I buy. I've been looking at Skyjacker and the 5 year warranty that comes with it but I'm not sure. My Jeep is unlifted and is riding on the stock 30" but I will be getting 32" sometime in the near future.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get a nice and adequate Teraflex SS from Northridge for about $42 and install is easy. Smart choice on ditching the dealer.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:32 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a TeraFlex on mine.

Curious.... Why do you say yours is broke?
Old 10-29-2008, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just put on my Skyjacker ss a few days ago and so far I'm happy with it. Visibly it's much larger then the stock unit. The Jeep seems to ahev a tighter ride. I put on a woods relocation kit with it so I'm not sure if there'd be any issues fitting it in the stock location given its larger size. There are quite a few threads on here dealing with the same topic, should be easy to find using the search feature.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:57 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The stock will be plenty sufficient for you. There are probably some new take offs on Ebay. That's where I got mine. I think it was like 30 bucks shipped. You don't need something larger. Don't waste your money. It is your money, though.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shayu
200???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
u should ask him if mopar's Steering Stabilizer is made by gold??
$15 for the stabilizer. $185 for 5 minutes of work and 10 minutes of paperwork to print an invoice.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dude.... if you wanna pay the shipping, you can HAVE my old one!!!!
Old 10-29-2008, 09:34 AM
JK Freak

stock stabilizers are like 60 bucks by an after market and save money, just dont go to much like a dual ss with 32s. its good to feel whats going on in the steering of your vehicle
Old 10-29-2008, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I DESTROYED mine about a month ago and i am NOT going to replace it. I prefer the way the steering feels without one. A little more bumpsteer on the trail but its road manners are far better...IMHO... but any local Midas or Monroe shop will sell you a shok for far less....My 98 TJ has a Monroe shock up front for a stabilizer. Acually replace a skyjacker with it.

07 JK Unlimited
3 inch BDS suspension lift
33x11.5x16
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Warrior Products Tube Doors
Mopar Off Road Rear Bumper
Oil Pan Tranny Skid Plate by SkidRow
Custom Front Winch Bumper by RoundStar OffRoad
Skyjacker Adjustable Rear Track Bar
Skyjacker Brake Line Extenders
Rock Krawler Adjustable Front Lower Control Arms
And Plenty of "CHARACTER" From rocks and Trees
“A bad day on the trail, is better than good day in Prison!”
^ YCP 4X4 motto ^
Old 10-29-2008, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shayu
200???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
u should ask him if mopar's Steering Stabilizer is made by gold??
The way I figure it its $75 for the part because the Mopar badge is on it. $25 for the 1 year warranty. $75 for them to waste an hour an a half doing nothing and then $25 to actually do the work and print me a receipt.

I have a TeraFlex on mine.

Curious.... Why do you say yours is broke?
The dealer said it was broken... I notice a little bit of difference in the ride and I'm going to take a look at it myself personally tomorrow morning.

I would buy a stock one again but I've heard stories of the stock unit leaking and failing so I figure if I'm going to replace it with an aftermarket. I'll get an early Christmas present from the folks at home.

I've got another question... how hard is it to install the Teraflex or a SS in general... I talked with a mechanic friend of mine and he said all I need is a suspension fork to undo the bolts and get the SS out. How did you guys do it?

Last edited by 4x4jkx; 10-29-2008 at 07:05 PM.

Quick Reply: New Steering Stabilizer