Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Shocks or Not New Shocks

Old 08-17-2008, 03:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Shocks or Not New Shocks

I am having 1 3/4" spacers added to the front suspension of my 2-door Rubi, to eliminate that front end sag. My question is, do I have to replace the front shocks? Replace all 4 shocks? Leave the originals on. My driving is 99% highway..........with light off roading.

Thanks for your help
Old 08-17-2008, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have upgraded shocks twice,1st time to Rubicon express twin tubes which was a huge improvement(on and off road)over stock rubi shocks,now running Rubicon express mono tubes which are awsome,I'm sure you will find the money well spent,If not in budget right now WAIT(your stock will be okay,just in theory you lost 3/4" front end droop)Good quality shocks are well worth the money and I highly recomend the investment.I do a HUGE amount of highway driving and play pretty hard off road,would not go back to stock shocks
Old 08-17-2008, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the reply Rick. I will run the stock front shocks for now........and later on upgrade to better ones (and longer ones for the front). The stock ride has not been bad.........I want to at least have that good of a ride...

Thanks again.........
Old 08-17-2008, 05:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Roger- Hi! I put 1 3/4'' spacers on the front of my '08, I left the stock spacer out for a 1 1/2'' total lift. New shocks NOT needed, no alignment issues, everything great- 10,000 miles since mod. Ride not affected.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

good plan,you will be fine with stock shocks,but I do highly recomend upgrade when time is right,you will not regret it
Old 08-18-2008, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Tinman, did the 1 3/4" spacers minus the factory ones get you level, or does that still give you a slight rake to it?
Old 08-18-2008, 06:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by afoulk
Tinman, did the 1 3/4" spacers minus the factory ones get you level, or does that still give you a slight rake to it?
1-3/4" spacers front/rear, with the factory rubber isolators still in place...

now with 3/4" spacers stacked on top of the 1-3/4" spacers in the front....still just the 1-3/4" in the rear...

Quick Reply: New Shocks or Not New Shocks