Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New shocks......HELP

Old 05-11-2013, 05:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New shocks......HELP

I have the 3.5" rough country lift kit but I am very unhappy with the ride its hard when I hit bumps and soft when I get on the brakes the whole nose of the jeep dips.

I am looking for a good on road ride because I only take my jeep rock crawling 2-3 times a month but I would like it to perform well rock crawling but mostly on road ride is more important any suggestions in what I should look at these are what I have been looking at as of right now. Any tips or suggestions would be great.

So I am looking at
-Bilstein 5100
-Rancho 9000xl
Or if I spend more money and buy the
-Tereflex tuned fox shocks

Thanks, Spencer
Old 05-11-2013, 05:26 PM
JK Newbie

I had the same issue with my RC 2.5 lift, upgraded to Bilstein 5100 and Bilstein dual stabs, awesome now, no more nose dives, and handling is amazing now.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:40 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Newfie
I had the same issue with my RC 2.5 lift, upgraded to Bilstein 5100 and Bilstein dual stabs, awesome now, no more nose dives, and handling is amazing now.
Thanks man it's good to know that I'm not the only one. I have the RC dual stabilizers do you think I should get the Bilsteins or just change out the shocks?
Old 05-11-2013, 07:49 PM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spencer4336
Thanks man it's good to know that I'm not the only one. I have the RC dual stabilizers do you think I should get the Bilsteins or just change out the shocks?
You won't notice much of a difference changing out the steering stabilizer(s); either Bilstein 5100 or Rancho RS9000XL are great choices.

The rough ride can also be the tire pressure... What PSI do you normally run?
Old 05-11-2013, 08:00 PM
JK Freak

Im not sure right now but they are definitely not super high pressure because when are park on curbs you can the tire is squshed down i think it is the shocks because i have heard numerous reports of people having problems with RC's shocks.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my rubicon express shocks (they are made by bilstein) think they were 78 bucks each
Old 05-11-2013, 09:53 PM
JK Freak

I really like the Bilstein 5100's but I hear the Rancho 7000 MT are good as well
Old 05-12-2013, 04:15 AM
JK Newbie

Default shocks

I just change the stabilizers shocks, and used the RC mounting kit I already had, and despite what others may say, I did see a big difference when I switched out all stabs & shocks. Make the switch, you will not regret it! The Jeep now rides firm, runs straight, and has no bounce, squishy floating feeling, no clunking, and feels like new! To say the least I am extremely satisfied with the upgrade. A friend of mine is also experiencing the same issues you have with his 3.5 on his 4 door and is in the process of switching to Bilsteins.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:59 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for all your help everyone, I decided that I am going to go with the bilisteins.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:13 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

A rough ride and nose dives when getting hard on the brakes is common when lifting a Jeep. A properly valved shock will help but to address the issues directly you'll need AEV front end geometry correction brackets for the lower control arms.
Check it out
JK Geometry Correction Front Control Arm Drop Brackets - JK Suspension - Suspension - Shop By Category

Quick Reply: New shocks......HELP