Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New shocks for an AEV 2.0 lift

Old 12-31-2011, 03:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New shocks for an AEV 2.0 lift

I recently put the AEV 2.0 spacer lift on my 2012 2DR JK and it didnt take long to realize that the stock shocks suck, and Im not a fan of using shock extensions either. Ive read an extensive amount on replacement shocks and id love to pick up a set of the FOX 2.0 shocks or the TF tuned FOX remote res shocks. My question for all the gurus out there is would they mesh well with the stock jk spring rates or should I pick up a different set and ditch the spacers all together? I'd like to find a setup that rides better on-road and can withstand some rougher/rutted out fire road use. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old 12-31-2011, 06:11 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

that's a tough one as ride quailty is totally subjective to the person riding in the jeep in question. in my opinion, sport and sahara coils and shocks ride on the soft/mushy side and i am no fan of that. however, a lot of people prefer that over what they might consider a firm or harsh ride. being that you want something that will withstand some rougher/rutted out fire roads, a good monotube shock like a bilstein 5100 should help out quite a bit and it's what i might recommend. they're affordable and do a much better job that stock shocks in conditions like these. the other shocks you're looking at are nice but, are a lot more expensive and, while they may help eat up ruts on the fire roads, can feel harsh on pavement or, at least, in my opinion. for what you get, i don't know if it'd be worth the money to me to get them but, if you've got money to spend...
Old 12-31-2011, 06:13 AM
JK Super Freak

I went with Bilsteins when I did my leveling kit. They are more stiff but handle a lot better. I wouldn't go with the Fox tuned ones because they are tuned specifically for the TF lifts. Normal Fox or OME would also be a good choice.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the input everyone, would it be worthwhile then to invest in some teraflex springs if I decided to go with the TF tuned shocks or another setup similar in the 2-3" lift range? Im of the mindset that Id rather over build the suspension now knowing I may never fully utilize it, but thats not to say I wont in a year or two.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by alanscott1
Thanks for the input everyone, would it be worthwhile then to invest in some teraflex springs if I decided to go with the TF tuned shocks or another setup similar in the 2-3" lift range? Im of the mindset that Id rather over build the suspension now knowing I may never fully utilize it, but thats not to say I wont in a year or two.
Yeah that wouldn't be a bad idea. They have them tuned to match their springs so everything works better. I have one of their lifts brand new for sale if your interested.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well I think I've found a solution to my suspension woes haha. Thinking Im going to go with the Rock Krawler JK 2.5” max travel system and the RK RRD shocks, and stick with my 33" duratracs for the time being. Anyone else running a similar setup?

Quick Reply: New shocks for an AEV 2.0 lift