Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New shocks?

Old 09-08-2013, 07:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New shocks?

With such a stiff suspension on these jk and with a 3.5" lift how in the world do you tell if you need new shocks.
I have 50,000 miles on my blistien 5100 series shock and they fell fine, but do they feel normal to me because I driove those miles and I am worn in too?
How long do shocks last with daily driving and 30 days in Moab each year? I am an old fart so I don't go airborne but do almost every trail there!
And no there are no leaks of fluid .
Last, is there a better shock for my use
Thanks.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by fredski
With such a stiff suspension on these jk and with a 3.5" lift how in the world do you tell if you need new shocks.
I have 50,000 miles on my blistien 5100 series shock and they fell fine, but do they feel normal to me because I driove those miles and I am worn in too?
How long do shocks last with daily driving and 30 days in Moab each year? I am an old fart so I don't go airborne but do almost every trail there!
And no there are no leaks of fluid .
Last, is there a better shock for my use
Thanks.
I swapped my stock shocks at 98k. I would go.with ome shocks. Their monotubes are more plush than the bilstiens. I have seen bilstiens break their shafts and everything. They are not what their cracked up to be. I think you will be happier with the ome mono shocks.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kojack

I swapped my stock shocks at 98k. I would go.with ome shocks. Their monotubes are more plush than the bilstiens. I have seen bilstiens break their shafts and everything. They are not what their cracked up to be. I think you will be happier with the ome mono shocks.
Actually, OME shocks are a twin tube, which is probably what 70-80 of all JKers really need. They get my vote and I don't even run them.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:57 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Shocks typically last around 50,000.

Over the life of the shock the oil gradually aerates under heat, making the fluid a lot less viscous and reducing performance -so a gradual failure/loss of performance over time. Mono-tube shocks separate the gas and the oil in the shock, so they make the shock last longer by avoiding this aeration effect. Overtime the oil will still fail.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TJJK

Actually, OME shocks are a twin tube, which is probably what 70-80 of all JKers really need. They get my vote and I don't even run them.
In adding. OME is a twin tube GAS charged. Durability ANX performance.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:51 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TJJK

In adding. OME is a twin tube GAS charged. Durability ANX performance.
Ome has both mono and dual tube shocks.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kojack

Ome has both mono and dual tube shocks.
Not exactly. The sport shock by construction is a twin tube.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:40 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I like the ride of the 5100's over the OME's they replaced. (I know I am in the minority, since everyone raves about OME...)
Old 09-09-2013, 12:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
I like the ride of the 5100's over the OME's they replaced. (I know I am in the minority, since everyone raves about OME...)
On the contrary, from my experience,if a survey was taken... , 3-1 5100s.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:34 PM
JK Junkie

well, northridge told me wrong. they said the originals are twin tube and the new sport is mono...

Quick Reply: New shocks?