Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Rims, Extra wobble when hitting bumps at 55 mph

Old 01-31-2013, 01:55 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A wobble triggered only by a random bump in the road is not tire/wheel related and has nothing to do with balancing.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
A wobble triggered only by a random bump in the road is not tire/wheel related and has nothing to do with balancing.
One of the problems I have been facing when trying to find mine that it will always trigger with a bump, but sometimes I am able to go 50mph and have no trouble and then others I start getting it at 35mph.

The same bump can be handled or it can start a wobble. Pretty much any bump over 40 will cause it.

I have watched all your videos and even posted some of mine mimicking the same tests for worn parts. Had multiple shops look at it and they basically look like they are using your plan to a T.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:50 PM
JK Freak

Bolts are on the track bar. I did notice that the OEM track bar bolts left thread groves in the bushings and allowed for a little extra play. I replace the 14mm bolts with 9/16 shoulder bolts. Notice a decent improvement. However the problem still exists 10% of the time of what it was. So a lot better but still need to dig deeper.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by PLOTTHOUND
If you have yet to take it back to whoever put the tires on the rims and balanced them... you should. If you tell them that one of your wheels is giving a bad vibration they should be eager to at least check it out for balance. all DW starts somewhere.

This I will do!!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 03:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by planman
I disagree with this...

I had at bad shimmy at about 50MPH every time I hit a bump. I thought it was my trackbar bolts and checked everything I possibly could and re tightened everything on the front end.

about a week later i got some new tires mounted on the jeep. What do you know, the shimmy went away.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:09 PM
JK Freak

I wouldnt think that 15K would kill those nittos like? They have been rotate pretty often!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:18 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by justbandit55
...at about 50MPH every time I hit a bump...
= not random. It was predictable and easily repeatable at a given speed.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:40 PM
JK Newbie

Has anyone tried checking the steering stabilizer? It wears out just like shocks.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pressman50
Has anyone tried checking the steering stabilizer? It wears out just like shocks.
When it started the first thing I did was disconnect the SS. Have had it connected and disconnected at various times with no change.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:50 AM
JK Freak

I may check that next, but how do i check the OEM steering stab?

Quick Reply: New Rims, Extra wobble when hitting bumps at 55 mph