Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Rims, Extra wobble when hitting bumps at 55 mph

Old 01-30-2013, 08:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rays0852
DW is induced by bumps...not driving over even pavement. DW is an oscillation triggered by a bump, pothole, gap in concrete, etc.. I think the additional backspacing may have exposed a worn component in your front axle or steering. If you have an '08 its a very good possibility that its your ball joints. Have they been replaced? I have a 2012 and mine will need to be done soon.

Read the whole thread and watch all the videos. You have to put time in to understand your Jeep. There are no shortcuts. 1000s before you have gone through your same experience and have it logged in this forum. Use it!
Will do, I am going to replace the bolt soon along with putting on longer tie rods.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm battling it as we speak. Tried a few different trackbars, replaced the entire drag link, bigger bolts, balanced tires, caster to around 5°, ball joints inspected (video on this site) and have gotten no closer.

Make no mistake I know it is something that is worn, but three different shops have not been able to find it.

No way it is the trackbar bolts causing it either, though the bolt had caused problems for me before. A good first place to look.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 AM
JK Freak

I do have new rims. I just did a torque test of 120 foot pounds and found them to be alittle lose. I also changed out the front tie rods out from the OEM's to the extra rear OEMs on the front. I am going to get it on the lift friday so I will check it out. Great write up. I will check back tomorrow if the tie rods and torquen' the wheels made a difference.

Thanks JK brothers!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeepin_tiger
I'm battling it as we speak. Tried a few different trackbars, replaced the entire drag link, bigger bolts, balanced tires, caster to around 5°, ball joints inspected (video on this site) and have gotten no closer.

Make no mistake I know it is something that is worn, but three different shops have not been able to find it.

No way it is the trackbar bolts causing it either, though the bolt had caused problems for me before. A good first place to look.
That sucks. It just sucks when your Jeep is not running the way you want it to.

If you have addressed those other things I would take a hard look at:

- Tie Rod ends
- Sector shaft and steering box mount
- lower control arm bushings
Old 01-30-2013, 10:48 AM
JK Freak

It is crazy how a lot of people have had this problem and Jeep has not fixed the problem! I just hope my JK dosent get as bad as the one on the Video. That was crazy stupid!!!!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:40 AM
JK Junkie

I'm guessing poor balance.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:10 PM
JK Freak

Got the tie rods on today and torqued everything. It rode better however the wobble has now be subjected to only the right wheel. Any ideas? I am going to replace the two bolts on the pitman arm Thursday.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Only the right wheel? That is interesting. Would lead me to believe it is something wheel specific, ball joints?
Old 01-30-2013, 04:18 PM
JK Freak

k notice that mine does it when my tire pressure is to high..maybe lower tire pressure
Old 01-30-2013, 04:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeepin_tiger
Only the right wheel? That is interesting. Would lead me to believe it is something wheel specific, ball joints?
I had that in back of my mind. But before I drop 200 buck in a ball joint kit I want to try the 20 bolts first!

Quick Reply: New Rims, Extra wobble when hitting bumps at 55 mph