Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Rims, Extra wobble when hitting bumps at 55 mph

Old 01-30-2013, 05:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Rims, Extra wobble when hitting bumps at 55 mph

This seems a little weird maybe you guys can help out. I just got a set of MB 72 (17" rims) with an extra 1" of backspacing to bump the wheels out. I left the OEM 31" tires on. I am currently running a 2.5 lift from rough country as well.

I have noticed in the past couple of days that when I hit a bump on the highway at around 45-65 mph that the steering wheel will shake like the perscribed wobble. It has not gotten worse and has remand relitivly the same.

Any ideas?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickESJK
Any ideas?
These are only ideas!

1) Your caster was slightly changed by the lift. Now the new wheels have accented this change.
2) Your old tires need to be replaced. Possibly do a tire rotation to see if it has any affect.

I changed to aftermarket wheels on my wifes Mazda. The steering felt funny a short time later. The shop convinced me to install extra "performance" adjustable parts to dial in the front end. $400.00 later and I could still feal the issue. Some months later, I replaced the OE tires. And the issue wen't away.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:42 AM
JK Freak

The tires have about 15K miles on them and when I did the lift I had the JKU alined. I will rotate the tires and see what happens!

Thanks
Old 01-30-2013, 07:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The tires have about 15K miles on them and when I did the lift I had the JKU alined. I will rotate the tires and see what happens!

Thanks
Ya, I'm still leaning towards the caster adjustment. I don't like those cam bolts.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long ago was the lift installed? Has everything been retightened?
Old 01-30-2013, 08:24 AM
JK Freak

The lift was done aout 10K ago. I just checked every thing at 8K and all was good. I just started right after I put on the new rims.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:29 AM
JK Freak

I'm guessing here, but I think you need to start with checking your track bar mount and bushings. Then I would move to the drag link ends and tie rod ends. Then check your ball joints. DW is almost always caused by those things. Do a search on Planman's diagnosing DW and shimmys thread and videos. Well worth the time to understand your steering components, geometry and DW causes.

Edit : Here you go - Thank Planman

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...obbles-260145/
Old 01-30-2013, 08:32 AM
JK Freak

Great write up. But this dosent explain all of it. It rides fine straight, it only happens when I hit a bump.

Last edited by PatrickESJK; 01-30-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:41 AM
JK Freak

Are the rims brand new? If they are used maybe ones bent. Also possible the shop didn't balance the tires correctly. With your lift on for so long I'd look at the tires and rims first. Just cause your tires have only 15k doesn't mean one wasn't damaged during the removal/ reinstallation process
Old 01-30-2013, 08:50 AM
JK Freak

Great write up. But this dosent explain all of it. It rides fine straight, it only happens when I hit a bump.

DW is induced by bumps...not driving over even pavement. DW is an oscillation triggered by a bump, pothole, gap in concrete, etc.. I think the additional backspacing may have exposed a worn component in your front axle or steering. If you have an '08 its a very good possibility that its your ball joints. Have they been replaced? I have a 2012 and mine will need to be done soon.

Read the whole thread and watch all the videos. You have to put time in to understand your Jeep. There are no shortcuts. 1000s before you have gone through your same experience and have it logged in this forum. Use it!

Quick Reply: New Rims, Extra wobble when hitting bumps at 55 mph