Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New powedercoated steel bumper rust prevention

Old 12-24-2015, 05:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Look into better technology. The issue with paint and powder coat is that they can't get every little area and end up rusting. They also can't stop rust that may have already begun to form. Auto manufacturers e-coat most everything. That's a terrific base coat. Completely seals the metal. Then top coat it. If you don't want to mess around, have it dipped in something like zinc phosphate or chromium. The gold metalcloak arms are actually a gold colored zinc phosphate. Chromium is even better, which is what I dip my metal parts in. It's pretty cool stuff. If rust attempts to form, the coating creates a chemical reaction that eliminates the rust. I live in MI and have bare metal exposed on my control arms. There's no rust. I never even bothered to coat them with paint or powder coat.
Can the chromium be done yourself? I love the workmanship put into these rock rails.. I dont want to paint/PC. I was thinking clearcoat buts there seems to be a lot of prep involved.,

Op.. I have RR bumper. Its actually holding up well. Only rust is around the welds.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1153120012.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	547.0 KB
ID:	632811  
Old 12-24-2015, 06:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look into better technology. The issue with paint and powder coat is that they can't get every little area and end up rusting. They also can't stop rust that may have already begun to form. Auto manufacturers e-coat most everything. That's a terrific base coat. Completely seals the metal. Then top coat it. If you don't want to mess around, have it dipped in something like zinc phosphate or chromium. The gold metalcloak arms are actually a gold colored zinc phosphate. Chromium is even better, which is what I dip my metal parts in. It's pretty cool stuff. If rust attempts to form, the coating creates a chemical reaction that eliminates the rust. I live in MI and have bare metal exposed on my control arms. There's no rust. I never even bothered to coat them with paint or powder coat.
where does one get there hands on this chromium ?
Old 12-24-2015, 06:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha ^^ im seeing zinc or Chromium plating.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cadmium or zinc phosphate are not something you can do at home. They are basically chemical plating. Cadmium is awesome, but some states such as CA don't allow it (it's safe for our use case).

I may be fortunate by being located near the motor city. I paid $90 to have 7 long arm control arms dipped. They can be painted or powder coated after, but I don't bother. Below are my arms post dip (I wanted gold to match the MC joints I used).

Last edited by Invest2m4; 12-25-2015 at 03:08 AM.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:50 PM
JK Freak

Oh ok I see now..lol so your local plating company can do this for you I assume......
Old 12-24-2015, 11:11 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

That looks like cadmium.
Old 12-25-2015, 03:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
That looks like cadmium.
Good catch. You are correct, it is cadmium. Chrome will get you home, but you don't want to use that on jeep parts!

Edited my comments above.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:46 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mkrx5
Happy Holidays everyone -

Been doing a ton of research on rust prevention for new powdercoated steel bumpers, and besides LineX / Rhino, how will taking a new bumper hold up with rustoleum etcher and truck bed liner hold up against rust? I want to address this before mounting on the JK.

Living in New England, between snow in winter and salt water air in summer, rust can be a huge issue - and I would hate to spend money on products that need constant maintenance. I don't wheel (sorry!), so I am just looking for the best option besides LineX / Rhino to save some $. Unless of course that is the only option -

Seems the self etching primer with bed liner could work. Doing this before bumpers go on, would I even need any prep work (ie sanding, roughing up)? Or just spray multiple coats of each?

Appreciate any feedback.

If you don't like constant maintenance... its probably best you just trade in the Jeep.... If you plan on wheeling it at all, it really won't matter what its painted with honestly, because it will get all scratched up anyway and then need to be touched up. I do maintenance painting twice a year, spring and fall. It's really the only way to keep the rust at bay in New England. Plus doing so keeps the Jeep looking clean.

Quick Reply: New powedercoated steel bumper rust prevention