Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New powedercoated steel bumper rust prevention

Old 12-23-2015, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New powedercoated steel bumper rust prevention

Happy Holidays everyone -

Been doing a ton of research on rust prevention for new powdercoated steel bumpers, and besides LineX / Rhino, how will taking a new bumper hold up with rustoleum etcher and truck bed liner hold up against rust? I want to address this before mounting on the JK.

Living in New England, between snow in winter and salt water air in summer, rust can be a huge issue - and I would hate to spend money on products that need constant maintenance. I don't wheel (sorry!), so I am just looking for the best option besides LineX / Rhino to save some $. Unless of course that is the only option -

Seems the self etching primer with bed liner could work. Doing this before bumpers go on, would I even need any prep work (ie sanding, roughing up)? Or just spray multiple coats of each?

Appreciate any feedback.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

Spray on bedliner is some sturdy stuff. I bedlined my door hinges 2 years ago and it's holding up perfectly through NW Ohio winters. As long as the metal is clean, acid etch primed and evenly coated, I can't imagine anything removing it. That's not to say dings, scrapes etc.. won't allow bare metal to become exposed and rust, but it won't just flake off due to salt/brine exposure. Remember, prep is the key; proper prep=lasting results. My .02
Old 12-23-2015, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Clean it, rough it up, 3-5 coats of self etching primer, then use regular spray paint or rust prevention paint. I did the bedliner approach on my rear and it would never come clean. The front I used the same procedure but used regular paint and it cleans up fine. The extra layers of primer help when that idiot backs into your bumper. It'll break through the paint and into the primer but not all the way through.

Paint the corners and seams first, then shoot the flat spots.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm confused. It says the bumpers are powdercoated. That is your rust protection

Powdercoat is going to be your best option next to having them professionally line-x's inside and out. If they are powdercoated, leave them be.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by D_engel
I'm confused. It says the bumpers are powdercoated. That is your rust protection

Powdercoat is going to be your best option next to having them professionally line-x's inside and out. If they are powdercoated, leave them be.
I missed that line before jumping off into a rant. Yes, if it's a quality powdercoat then he's alright. Cheap coating like rugged ridge, smittybilt, and (IMO/ experience) metalcloak should be removed so you can start fresh.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

correct - I was looking at smittybuilt / comparable. I was interested in best practice after receiving this type of product with is already poweder coated, and was wondering if the rustoleum dual process would work by going directly over it.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

which are the best powder coated bumpers if these are mediocre?
Old 12-23-2015, 03:40 PM
JK Newbie

My opinion would be since they are powder coated put them on and see how they do (zero cost except for time). Since you don't wheel you won't likely get and obstacle rash. If they show and issue with rust you then strip them down and then decide - either powder coat or LineX.

I see a lot of guys who wheel a lot doing their own painting because they can touch up after blemishes occur.

My personal preference would be LineX.

Ed
Old 12-23-2015, 11:43 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I missed that line before jumping off into a rant. Yes, if it's a quality powdercoat then he's alright. Cheap coating like rugged ridge, smittybilt, and (IMO/ experience) metalcloak should be removed so you can start fresh.
I was dumb enough to install powdercoated front bumper and sliders. Never again. You'd have to give them to me for free next time. Probably remove then sandblast and epoxy them is the fastest fix. It is a fad finish. Works perfect if the vehicle never leaves the garage.
I'm waiting for the REST of my powdercoat to fall off so I don't need to strip it. My Jeep is used harshly not waxed weekly. I can wait till the entire product is rust covered. A heavy part won't rust through until your grand kids are driving it.
Won't mention name of supplier to end conversation. Ok with that S W ?
Old 12-24-2015, 02:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Appreciate the feedback, this is what I was referring to. Love the look and dont mind spending the $ but paint maintenance isnt something I am interested in. Looks like it maybe diy stubbys for me!

Quick Reply: New powedercoated steel bumper rust prevention