Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New OME lift arrived questions

Old 02-09-2011, 07:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New OME lift arrived questions

Hi All,

My new Old Man Emu 2.5" lift kit has arrived. I have read about install instructions and I have the tools, but really don't have the time. If I go to a shop for the install, about how much time should I expect to be charged?

Also, no instructions were included, got some info from the web, but do I need to call the company?

After the install, how big can I go w tires?

thanks in advance

JP

2010 JK Unlimited Sahara
Body Armor ft bumper/M8000
Hyline w tire carrier rear bumper
skid row plates
Old 02-09-2011, 07:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find the time it is only one Saturday or two easy half days to do it yourself. Also you will understand your suspension better and that helps when something goes wrong. No instructions come with the kit. So use this site.

You should get 35" under that lift.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:14 PM
JK Freak

I did my lift in an evening. It was the first coil lift I had done. My wife was there but mainly just kept me company. Find a good write up and go for it. Look for a nearby jeep club and invite them over for an afternoon of pizza and beverage and have them help.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:19 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

trust me, it's totally not worth it to have someone else do the install. find the time and do it yourself. here's a write-up that should help you out

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up
Old 02-10-2011, 04:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

+1 on doing it yourself. I'm a 135lb accountant, and I did 95% myself......Just needed a little help torquing the 125 ft/lb bolts down! Once you start doing it, you'll quickly realize that it's not that hard. Just make sure you have all the tools and sockets listed before you start.

And if you buy new brake lines, get an extra banjo bolt or two. They are $3 and will ruin your day if you brake one without a spare!
Old 02-10-2011, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Same here not a mechanic by any means and I was able to do it in one long slow day. Just take your time and follow the write up mentioned above and you will not have any problems. Very gratifying and if any issues creep up down the road you will have the knowledge to diagnose them.

Other wise your at the mercy of some shop that does not really give a hoot and if you have problems later you are still at there mercy.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not doing mine myself... not that I couldn't.... It's just that a real mechanic with a lift & employees ect could do this in just a few hours.. just the same, you should become familure with the install process and check their work closely.

Maybe $150 would be a fair price @ 3 hours? I'm having mine put on by a family friend... so I expect to pay about $35 per hou
Old 02-10-2011, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It took me about 3 days but i didnt own any tools nor have I turned a wrench. good learning experience though.

i used this thread:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...lithium+grease
Old 02-10-2011, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really all you are doing is taking one thing off and replacing it with another, granted it is much easier if it is on a lift if you happen to know someone who has one.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MSUConrad
+1 on doing it yourself. I'm a 135lb accountant, and I did 95% myself......Just needed a little help torquing the 125 ft/lb bolts down! Once you start doing it, you'll quickly realize that it's not that hard. Just make sure you have all the tools and sockets listed before you start.

And if you buy new brake lines, get an extra banjo bolt or two. They are $3 and will ruin your day if you brake one without a spare!
You should get some Protein Shakes !

Unless you are a girls and are 5'4"

Quick Reply: New OME lift arrived questions