Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New lift and tires

Old 05-10-2012, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New lift and tires

I know there are tons of threads out there with this topic but there are so many opinions on each lift. First off, I'm not a hard core off roader, although I never pass up an opportunity. My jeep is a dd so highway miles come first.

I am running 3.73 gears and really don't plan on regearing (even though I know this isn't optimal). I wish to get 33-35 in tires with about a 2.5-3 in suspension lift. I'd like to be able to do the lift and tires without any other major mods to the jeep. Can anyone recommend what would be the best route as far as the amount of lift and size of tires? I do plan on adding a front bumper and winch in the future as well so should I go an extra .5 in in front?

If anyone has a similar setup please post pics. I'd love specifics on the lift as well so I can make this purchase fairly soon. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2012, 05:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by gukicker10
I know there are tons of threads out there with this topic but there are so many opinions on each lift. First off, I'm not a hard core off roader, although I never pass up an opportunity. My jeep is a dd so highway miles come first.

I am running 3.73 gears and really don't plan on regearing (even though I know this isn't optimal). I wish to get 33-35 in tires with about a 2.5-3 in suspension lift. I'd like to be able to do the lift and tires without any other major mods to the jeep. Can anyone recommend what would be the best route as far as the amount of lift and size of tires? I do plan on adding a front bumper and winch in the future as well so should I go an extra .5 in in front?

If anyone has a similar setup please post pics. I'd love specifics on the lift as well so I can make this purchase fairly soon. Thanks!
Also, if I went the regearing route, what gears would be best for a 3" lift with 35's?
Old 05-10-2012, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Also, if I went the regearing route, what gears would be best for a 3" lift with 35's?
What year? Auto?
Reason I ask is that I have a '12 JKU auto w 3.73's, AEV 2.5" lift, and 35's. NO complaints whatsoever w the lift or gears. AEV 2.5" lift will allow for heavy bumpers later and not sag. Excellent road manners for a DD.

(Of course my recommendation is based on those criteria. Dont believe the 3.8 engine on the '11's and earlier will perform satisfactorily w those gears).
Old 05-10-2012, 06:14 PM
JK Super Freak

i got the teraflex 2.5" coil lift with bilsteins and 35" GY duratracs. very quiet tires, perfect lift height (i added 1/2 spacer up front and coil wedges in the back so 3" lift if you count that). Its my dd and i have no regrets.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 65Cobra
What year? Auto?
Reason I ask is that I have a '12 JKU auto w 3.73's, AEV 2.5" lift, and 35's. NO complaints whatsoever w the lift or gears. AEV 2.5" lift will allow for heavy bumpers later and not sag. Excellent road manners for a DD.

(Of course my recommendation is based on those criteria. Dont believe the 3.8 engine on the '11's and earlier will perform satisfactorily w those gears).
Sorry, it's an 09 6 speed. That sounds like a descent setup. Do u have a pic? I def would like 35's but I'll have to see what the budget will allow if I'm forced to regear.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by notsoricer
i got the teraflex 2.5" coil lift with bilsteins and 35" GY duratracs. very quiet tires, perfect lift height (i added 1/2 spacer up front and coil wedges in the back so 3" lift if you count that). Its my dd and i have no regrets.
What gears are you running?
Old 05-10-2012, 07:38 PM
JK Super Freak

What gears are you running?
4.10's, so its a bit different that what you have but i'm sure you'll be fine for a little while until you save up for a gear swap.

Trending Topics

Old 05-11-2012, 01:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

With the 6 speed and the 3:73 gearing your on the edge of decent performance with a 33" tire. If you step up to a 35" tire you should regear. A 4:56 would work well (see link which includes chart). https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...17/#post211274

For what it's worth, I recently got around to installing the following:

- Installed Zone 3" Coil Lift kit
- Installed Daystar 3/4" coil spacers on the front (to compensate for bumper and winch)
- Installed JKS Adjustable tracbar and replaced factory 14mm bolts with 9/16"

I'm running this with the stock 4:10 gearing on my automatic and it works okay (minimally acceptable) with the 33" tire setup I picked. Personally I went with the 33s because they fit my DD and occasional wheeling needs. Also, I did not need to calibrate my speedometer. Overall the lift really made a difference in the stance and ride, and I'm very happy with the results. I've included a before (left) and after (right) photo to show the height difference.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sepia JKU (640x491).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	315335   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0495 (640x425).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	315336  
Old 05-11-2012, 02:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Rock Krawler or Teraflex

I would look into a Rock Krawler 2.5 coil kit or a Teraflex 2.5 coil kit. I run Rock Krawler and love it but Teraflex is also great stuff. I run 35's (KM2) with a 6 speed and 3.73s and I'm fine with it. I would say try it and see how you like it before your re-gear because I don't see myself doing it anytime soon. I will if I get a locker but don't feel I even need one.

Quick Reply: New lift and tires