Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New to a lift and question on my spacer Lift

Old 06-25-2018, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question New to a lift and question on my spacer Lift

Just bought a 2008 JK unlimited. It came with a 2 inch spacer lift/ 20 inch wheels/ 35 inch tires. My old JK did not have a lift on it so I am wondering if how my new JK is driving the way it is because of the lift. When I drive and lightly turn the steering wheel side to side it feels "Loafty" or almost like it you are floating side to side. I didn't have this with my 07 JK Sahara. So the question is... is this normal with a lift or is there something else going on.

Side note... It just had new Ball joints put in!!
Old 06-25-2018, 02:18 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

As suspension height increases, the axle rotates, which raises the pinion. As the pinion rises, the caster decreases. As the caster goes down, the steering gets flighty. The higher you go, the lower the caster gets, and the flightier the steering gets.

If you choose to correct it, you will want to rotate the housing and lower the pinion again. Your options are Cam Bolts, control arm Brackets, a set of longer/shorter 'fixed' control arms, a set of adjustable control arms. (cams are cheap, but read some reviews before going that route...)

Last edited by nthinuf; 06-25-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First thing is get rid of the 20" wheels! Just kidding to each their own. I agree with nthinuf but with a 2" spacer lift you shouldn't be exhibiting or need to change all those things. I have a 2" spacer lift on a 2 door and don't have any issues. Being it's a 2008 I'd check for bushing wear in the track bar or steering. Maybe wheel bearings? A lot of things loosen up over the years. Good luck.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always knocked 20's also.. but it looks pretty good on the ride! Still not sold on the red

Last edited by KLex10; 06-25-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

That red is nothing like a Rescue Green....that's a fantastic color.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

The weight of the wheels/tires will also effect the steering. Wider, grippier tires, especially those that are mounted on heavy 20in wheels, will cause flex on the factory steering components, especially the factory track bar that will cause the symptoms you are describing.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

You need some caster correction. Although 2in isn't much of a lift and some may not need to adjust caster after a 2in lift, you need to keep in mind that no 2 Jeeps are the same. Some leave the factory with low caster where any amount of lift can send them over the edge into the land of flighty steering. Pick up a set of geo correction brackets for $100-$150 and you'll be all set.

P.S. Nice Jeep! I like the Reds, but I'm partial to the blues. I saw a Blue JL today when I stopped into the dealership to pick up a part, and that was almost my tipping point to go purchase a new JL since the darker blues tend to be a specialty limited color which disappears after 2 years. Red, Silver, White and Black are available every year.

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-25-2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Great looking Jeep! I'd add some Rancho geometry correction brackets. One of the best mods I've made.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What tire pressure are you running? A lot of my complaints about flighty steering were solved by lowering the tire pressure after a chalk test. When I bought mine it had 33s on it, at 44psi. I almost didn't buy it because it drove so bad. After doing a chalk test I'm at 25 cold and 29 hot and it drives great.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:47 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Maybe I'm just reading the OP differently than most. I'm not seeing you complaining about twitching steering (which is why most are implying caster is too low). I'm not saying your caster ISN'T too low, but it sounds like you're just talking about the jeep feeling more floating on the road....like a big boat? Or are you indeed talking about floating as in you can't control it well? Some of this could just be the fact your center of balance is now higher compared to what you were used to before. You got more air moving below you, and that does change how things feel a bit. Are the shocks just worn down and need replacing? I described my wife's Armada as feeling "floaty", and it's amazing what some new shocks will do.

Quick Reply: New to a lift and question on my spacer Lift