Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Lift installed = Death Wobble

Old 06-09-2013, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Lift installed = Death Wobble

Just installed a AEV 2.5 and geometry drop brackets. Now I have horrible DW at around 40/45mph. Tripled checked all torque specks on everything. Tires little in the worn side and haven't installed a steering stablizer yet.

sent from a Dixie cup and string.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gijoel
Just installed a AEV 2.5 and geometry drop brackets. Now I have horrible DW at around 40/45mph. Tripled checked all torque specks on everything. Tires little in the worn side and haven't installed a steering stablizer yet.

DW is not speed related, it can come at any time at any speed. If the wobble happens at the same speed it is rotating mass related,- tires wheels. Have wheels and tires checked of balance and out of round. Leave the stabilizer off until the issue is resolved.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your track bar. DW is known to happen when your track bar isn't tight. Double check all nuts and bolts and make sure all is tight. The steering stabilizer will have little effect on DW.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:16 AM
JK Freak

A speed related wobble is definitely a tire issue. More then likely one or more is out of balance. I bet once you hit about 50-55 it goes away too.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you do an alignment after the install? This is most likely tire/wheel related, not DW.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SpicedCrusher
A speed related wobble is definitely a tire issue. More then likely one or more is out of balance. I bet once you hit about 50-55 it goes away too.
Yep anything above 60mph it drives nice.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rule18
Did you do an alignment after the install? This is most likely tire/wheel related, not DW.
No alignment done yet. But its definitely DW

Old 06-10-2013, 02:27 PM
JK Super Freak

It's a shake or a shimmy but definitely not Death Wobble. In order for death wobble to stop you must come to or near a complete stop. DW is not speed related. It cannot be replicated at a speed. It will happen at any speed. If your DW started at 40-45 mph you would not get it to 50-60mpg to stop it, you would be in the ditch. Wheel and Tire shakes and shimmies are directly related to speed.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yep anything above 60mph it drives nice.

DW isn't speed related, you just discounted that. Tires could be out now after being taken off, possible a weight was knocked off during the lift install and wasn't noticed or they are just getting old and tired with low tread. If you're having a vibration or wobble at a certain speed that's not death wobble, that's due to a rotating mass that isn't in alignment. DW can happen at any speed, any time time as long as the rut or hole you hit it a good size haha It generally happens when you shock the suspension system not when driving on smooth surfaces, but it can.

Swap the front tires to rear and see if it's better. Easiest way to tell and look at the rims and see if any weights are missing, but getting them re-balanced. That'll save you some money.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ohh It's DW trust me. I'm scared to death to drive consistently or around 40/55mph or a slow deceleration from anything faster then that. My front end has shook so bad the tires would bark shaking so much and the front end feels as if its gonna self destruct. The only way I could stop it is by slamming on the brakes until I got her down to around 5mph. . If that's not DW, then I don't know what is.. I've Only let it happen 3 times since the lift was installed Saturday by staying out of those speeds as quickly as possible. But I feel as if I could get her to DW on command.

Quick Reply: New Lift installed = Death Wobble