Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New lift complete next week... what to plan for?

Old 03-04-2011, 12:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New lift complete next week... what to plan for?

After 7 years of owning Jeeps, I'm FINALLY getting my 2010 2 door lifted. I have a 2 door metallic green jk sport, manual transmition. I went with the AEV/Nth degree 3.5" lift, AEV black sevegre 17" wheels, and 35x12.5 BF Goodrich km2's.

I don't have enough money for the AEV rear bumper/tire carrier yet and I don't plan on putting the new full sized spare on the stock carrier. Is there an illegality to removing the third brake light?

My big question is, what should be my first upgrade(s) after the lift is complete?

I'm in AZ so when I'm not daily driving to work and back, I will be wheeling on rocks, soft sand, and small boulders. Thank you for any advice and I can't wait to post pictures!
Old 03-04-2011, 01:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you're content with the peformance after lift/tires then save up quick for at least the rear bumper - tire carrier.

If you are not happy with performance then gears 1st, rear bumper - tire carrier 2nd.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may need new drive shafts with a lift over 3". You may be fine for a while in the front since you are manual but the rears may be more immediate. I'm sure others will chime in on DS who have 2 doors with lifts.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

bump in hopes for more information
Old 03-05-2011, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepApex
bump in hopes for more information
What parts does that kit come with?
Old 03-05-2011, 11:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lopezv123
What parts does that kit come with?
This is copied from the vendor I got the kit from:

"Standard Kit includes: Frequency-tuned progressive-rate coil springs, custom-tuned Bilstein shocks, bump-stop spacers, brakeline drop brackets, custom rear track-arm, roll-center-adjusted rear track-arm tower, sway-bar links and front lower cam bolts."

I already have the procal and the jack base on order as well.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:46 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepApex
and front lower cam bolts."
AEV is no longer using Cam Bolts, they have gone to CA Drop Brackets. Return that lift and get the one with the brackets !!

Cams are cheap, tend to slip when offroad, and you have to notch out your axle bracket to install them. (meaning, you need to have those holes welded back up if you decide to move to adjustable arms)

Drop brackets are better than cams. The drawback is that they adjust for a fixed amount of caster, and they lower the ground clearance a few inches at the upper end of the arms.

Personally, I don't like either option, and would choose adjustable arms. But between the two, you want the brackets.

Last edited by nthinuf; 03-05-2011 at 11:51 PM.

Quick Reply: New lift complete next week... what to plan for?