Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Lift = More travel?

Old 12-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B 1000
This thread actually makes me wonder;

What lift kit (approx 3 inch) gives the most travel?
TeraFlex is considering a video that shows how much travel you will from a leveling kit up to a 6"kit because of this thread.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:37 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
TeraFlex is considering a video that shows how much travel you will from a leveling kit up to a 6"kit because of this thread.
That would be fantastic as I am also considering a much bigger lift and would like to make a educated choice!
Old 12-22-2011, 11:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKred
I don't think your going to get much more without coil overs

An that's shocks. Ultimately you need to know the max travel distance of your springs and then choose shocks from there.
Thanks for your help. Is there a way to get the measurements of the springs without having to buy them?
I could understand some lift kit suppliers may not want that information readily available.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by texwillys

Thanks for your help. Is there a way to get the measurements of the springs without having to buy them?
I could understand some lift kit suppliers may not want that information readily available.
Your going to have to ask the manufacturer unsprung length of the springs and bumpstops height, you can calculate the rest yourself. I might do this next week just out of curiosity.

It would be nice to see teraflex's numbers!
Old 12-22-2011, 11:12 AM
JK Super Freak

that would be fantastic. I went with the OME lift originally because of its ride quality and comfort. However, now that I've been offroading I know that for the type of offroading I do, it just doesn't flex enough. It gives the right height, and it rides amazing well on and off road. But I had never even thought about flex when I was shopping for kits; I wish it was mentioned more often when people talk about lift kits to those shopping for them. Had I known then what I know now, I more than likely would have gone with a different setup.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

It's official, Dennis is all over this now. We have a stock 2012 here belonging to Vinny in Marketing that will be our model for this. Now it might be a few weeks, but Dennis wants this to be our next video.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:43 PM
JK Super Freak

It's official, Dennis is all over this now. We have a stock 2012 here belonging to Vinny in Marketing that will be our model for this. Now it might be a few weeks, but Dennis wants this to be our next video.
awesome, that will be amazingly helpful for folks! cant wait to see it!
Old 12-23-2011, 09:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by planman
I answered this above already, but depending on whether you have a body lift and/or flat flares, you may be able to run shorter extended bumpstops.

As a result, a lift with 1.25" extended bumpstops, 1" body lift, and flat flares with 10" travel shocks with 2.5" springs may allow more usable travel than a lift that has 12" travel shocks with 4" extended bumpstops and 4" springs.
Is this because of the collapsed height of the larger coil, and longer shock, actually reduces the overall total amount available?

I am taking bumpstops out of the equation. The ultimate lift would have coil springs with the most amount of extension and smallest amount of compaction, with shocks allowing this but also aiding in dampning. Once installed, then adjust the bumpstops.
I can see how this can take quite a bit of research.

Thanks for everybody's input!

Looking forward to seeing the TeraFlex video !
Old 12-23-2011, 11:21 AM
JK Freak

Neither the springs nor shocks are at the end of the pivoting axle, so the "max" travel of the wheel is greater than the travel of the other components unless both ends of the axle are compressed equally.

The geometry/design of the suspension system has to be limiting as well. The track bar, drive shaft and control arms all swing on different arcs. There has to be some binding.

Last edited by bbrown626; 12-23-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by planman
It depends.

Typically, longer shocks have a longer collapsed length and would require longer bumpstops.

However most lifts that include bumpstops use a height sufficient to keep a given tire size out of your stock flares.

For a lift with 3" springs, you can run something as long as the OME long travel shocks with only about 1.25" front and rear extended bumpstops.

If you run EVO rear skids/shock relocation brackets, it moves the shocks up to allow more droop, and you need 2.5" rear extended bumpstops.

With 1.25" front and 2.5" rear extended bumpstops, you can run 35s with flat flares and 37s with a combination of flat flares and a 1" body lift and keep your tires out of the body/flares.

Shocks can be your "limiting" straps only up to a point. If your shocks are too long for your springs, or if your front shocks have more than about 12-13" travel and allow an aftermarket driveshaft to hit the exhaust crossover, you typically need limiting straps.
You know your stuff.

Quick Reply: New Lift = More travel?