Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New to JK's, and all affiliates and looking for help.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll look into the C gussets and tubes a little later down the road.. this is already going a little outa budget and I've got some time before heading out to San Diego.
Are intakes really worth it? I know cleaning them is easy as hell if you buy the cone ones or even aftermarket filters, but is there a power/performance difference? little off topic but it popped into my head after looking at Woods site.
Well after reading about the cam bolts i'm kinda iffy on the BDS lift now.
What TF would you recommend? Only reason i was looking at the BDS in the first place was cause the reviews i read from other sites and such said it rode the same as stock which i didn't really care about but seemed like a plus.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:47 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Well after reading about the cam bolts i'm kinda iffy on the BDS lift now.
Wasn't trying to talk you out of BDS, just cluing you in to a possible weak spot. If the reviews on ride quality from the coils/shocks sounds good to you, go for it. You can always hold off on installing the cams and add a set of adj arms instead.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Woods
Axle C-gussetts are support brackets that get welded between the axle tube and inner c-brackets. Depending on how you drive, you're also going to want to replace or reinforce the axle tubes. This isn't a simple job for the standard do-it-yourselfer. Welding is involved with both parts of this job. I'd look for a shop that does some fabrication, to do this sort of work. I wouldn't trust some young kid that works at a large chain, or most dealers to do this type of work. Here's a link: http://www.offroadevolution.com/stor...cts.php?cat=25

The 3.8 likes to run at higher RPM's. I cruise at over 3000 on the highway. No changes to the transfer case are necessary and again we need more info. to make a good recommendation. The Rubicon T-case has lower gearing and is better suited for harder offroading. Atlas is the ultimate, but much more dough.

Let us know what type of driving/wheelin you'll be doing and you'll get better answers.

Are gussetts recommended for rubi axle's? This is the first I've heard of this.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:06 PM
JK Jedi

Don't waste your money on an intake, especially if you like to play in mud. Where there is mud there is water, and JK's do not like water unless they are breathing cold air through a snorkel.

Regarding the lift, I'd give some real thought to the TeraFlex 2.5" spring kit. It's a great starter kit to build upon and will get you enough room to clear most 35s with no problem.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are many starter kits out there. They will all work just fine. I went with Rough Country 3.25" lift. I love it. I helped a group install a Tera Flex kit not to long ago, it made that JK look sick. It all depends on what you want to spend and what you are going to do with your JK. Good Luck.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:21 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by greasyspider
Are gussetts recommended for rubi axle's? This is the first I've heard of this.
They are a good idea for all JK's, and get more important as you increase tire size.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:22 PM
JK Super Freak

I have to agree on the Terra Flex Lifts! Great quality and reasonable pricing. Still loving mine! Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 08-06-2010, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

well hell. Now i'm more up in the air than ever.
Got it about the intake.. snorkels require cutting of the body right?
Based on whats been said, i looked up rough country stuff and they have a 3.5" kit for 500. To me, that seems like a good deal but then again idk, was originally gonna go with a 3.5" but the guy at ETA said if you want a lift and to save money almost any lift will do and turned me to the BDS. So now I'm looking at three kits, The TF 3", BDS 3", and Rough Country 3.5". Which do you guys think would give me more bang for my buck?
Old 08-06-2010, 07:23 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Look at components, not cheap price tags...

Go back to the FAQ's and read these two:
Q: What are all the components that I will need with a 3" lift?
Q: What is Caster? How much do I need?

Find out what the 'actual' lift heights are!! ( That 3" TF kit might be a big surprise )

Figure out what all the components do, and decide for yourself if anything that is missing from the kit is needed.
A few examples:
-That RC lift includes a set of 'fixed' control arms for caster. Would you be better off with adjustables?
-Why are there driveshaft recommendations in several different places in the faq's? At what lift height, and for which JK models, are you likely to need to replace? If you end up needing a new driveshaft, be aware that you will need a set of adj arms with it.
-If it comes with a relo bracket(s), are there issues with axle mounts vs frame mounts?
etc...

Moral of the story - Look past the low low sale price and research so you aren't throwing money away fixing mistakes. There is nothing wrong with starting basic and adding components as you go, just have some idea of where you want to end up before dropping the coin.

Last edited by nthinuf; 08-06-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've looked a the faq's a little closer on what you've said, and came to the conclusion that it doesn't look like i'll need new drive shafts.
1. because its a 4dr so the drive shafts are reportedly longer.
2. i have a manual tranny, therefor i don't have to replace the front drive shaft because it doesn't hit the skid plates/won't tear the boot. Although I'm not sure what height that is for.
as far as adjustable control arms.. would actual control arms for front and rear, or just front ones be better? or would i be fine going with something along the lines of this http://www.quadratec.com/products/16502_4300.htm ?

Quick Reply: New to JK's, and all affiliates and looking for help.