Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New JK Owner - Need Some Tires, Suspension and Ring/Pinion Advice

Old 02-13-2013, 08:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New JK Owner - Need Some Tires, Suspension and Ring/Pinion Advice

I am a new JK owner and need some advice from the pros out there. I have a stock 2010 Sport Unlimited and looking to add a little height to my rig. I am thinking 33"s with an Old Man Emu 2.5" lift. I don't go offload much and it is my daily vehicle. My concern with moving to 35"s is the loss of power. It only has 202HP and don't want to lose more power as I pull a pop-up trailer often for camping. I was told I need to change my ring and pinion to help with the power loss. My JK is 6 speed manual with 3.73 gears. I am open to suggestions on tires, suspension, ring/pinion and anything else I haven't considered.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site from a fellow pup owner. If you don't off road much stick with 33's. I would put the tires and lift on then see how it feels pulling the popup then decide if you need to regear. I barely notice our popup is back there when pulling, I added a 7-pin connecter and brake controller to help with stopping, I may have to down shift to one lower gear than normal on some of the steeper hills with the 6 speed it is pretty easy to keep the engine in a good RPM range.

I have a 2 door with 33's, 6-speed, and 4.10s and pull a 1800 lb Coleman Taos.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:14 AM
JK Super Freak

As a former pup owner, stick with 33s

We felt our pup bug time. Not too bad, as they have a small frontal area. I pulled it with the stock rubi tires and my 33s. I would not do it on 35s without a gear change. Ours was an e3, so it was big.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CerOf
As a former pup owner, stick with 33s

We felt our pup bug time. Not too bad, as they have a small frontal area. I pulled it with the stock rubi tires and my 33s. I would not do it on 35s without a gear change. Ours was an e3, so it was big.
Looking at your profile it looks like you have an automatic, from what I have seen on the Jeep and popup forums I am on those of us the 6speeds are much happier with the towing performance of the JK than those with the automatics. I do agree with you about sticking with 33s with the stock gearing.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Pop up owner here too. 33" is a great tire size anyways. Not just for towing.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I would stick with the 33's also if you plan on towing. You would definitely need a re-gear for the 35's
Old 02-14-2013, 07:34 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by Wheelerpeak
I am a new JK owner and need some advice from the pros out there. I have a stock 2010 Sport Unlimited and looking to add a little height to my rig. I am thinking 33"s with an Old Man Emu 2.5" lift. I don't go offload much and it is my daily vehicle. My concern with moving to 35"s is the loss of power. It only has 202HP and don't want to lose more power as I pull a pop-up trailer often for camping. I was told I need to change my ring and pinion to help with the power loss. My JK is 6 speed manual with 3.73 gears. I am open to suggestions on tires, suspension, ring/pinion and anything else I haven't considered.

If you want 35's, get 35's. You will never be happy with a smaller tire.

Being that its a 6 speed you have the advantage pulling. I would consider 4.88 gears or even 5.13's for the added power when pulling.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:49 AM
JK Newbie

My pop-up is a little bigger than most. It is an off-road version with slide-out, front cage and 15" tires. I can feel it for sure going up mountains (on highway) and over passes. I simply have to downshift. My dilemma is fuel economy on a daily basis versus power when I pull the trailer about 10 weekends a year. I can probably get away with no gear change on 33's but it might help some (I don't mind the added cost). I would like the look of 35's but don't want the added fuel costs and loss of power. I know I can't have my cake and eat it to but I want the best set-up as possible.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	422159  
Old 02-14-2013, 07:55 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by Wheelerpeak
My pop-up is a little bigger than most. It is an off-road version with slide-out, front cage and 15" tires. I can feel it for sure going up mountains (on highway) and over passes. I simply have to downshift. My dilemma is fuel economy on a daily basis versus power when I pull the trailer about 10 weekends a year. I can probably get away with no gear change on 33's but it might help some (I don't mind the added cost). I would like the look of 35's but don't want the added fuel costs and loss of power. I know I can't have my cake and eat it to but I want the best set-up as possible.
Your gas mileage will go down regeared or not regeared on 35's. You might just want to stick with 33's if your concerned about fuel economy

Last edited by chris@offroadevolution; 02-14-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:54 AM
JK Freak

285/75r17 tire, 4.88 gears

Quick Reply: New JK Owner - Need Some Tires, Suspension and Ring/Pinion Advice