Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New to Jeeps buying one this week need input

Old 02-23-2021, 05:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Nothing against those that mod, but for me, running stock, my jeep does everything I need it to do. I'm glad I never got bit by the mod bug. Engineers design the Jeep's in 3D computer space before anything has actually been built. If not modded correctly, you can really make it look good, but drive like crap
Old 02-23-2021, 08:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karls10jk
You've already made up your mind, why would we change it? Spacers and replacement shocks if you think yours are toast seems logical. I'd be more in the camp of changing out for used take-off parts. Dirtman offered for you to stop by and I'm sure he knows where to find plenty of take-off parts for cheap. Use cheap/ free take off's until you can do it right. Why are you lifting and adding wheel spacers again? Have you had the stock vehicle out to see what it can do or what it "needs"??
my mind is never made up. I seek advice and sometimes someone knows of a better way and still gets good results. I don't like the look of a stock height jeep. I work 15 to 18 hours a day so going out to play is never easy I would love for someone to stop by. I guess I did not see that. nor do I know where to look for inexpensive takeoff parts. I will check with dirtman. Sorry, I did not see that offer.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I would buy the stock one with not knowing what was done to the 16. Fee free to come by my shop if you are in Reno and I can get you straight on a route to pursue. A jeep on 35's with proper gearing and lockers is going to take you about anywhere you want to go and you won't break the bank. For a 3"-4" lift and 37's you should budget around $10-12k.
where is your shop? I'm off tomorrow for a little bit. I may be able to run by. I also just read your post on lifts. More to think about.

Last edited by GUNRUNNER; 02-23-2021 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did a 3.5" suspension lift, stock wheels with 33's. I did 1.5" spacers, cuz I like the wider stance.
2011 JK
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo447.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	677735  
Old 02-24-2021, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, and local jeep groups (barring corona) were always my "go to" for cheap take off's. I get working long days and wanting to have something nice at the end of the day. A cheap solution to the stock height look is some smaller fender flares- it gives the illusion of a lift without getting into geometry. The TF spacers aren't bad, but they are really just a starting point IMO.

Asking is one thing, listening is another. It seems that you're willing to listen. Dirtman has a solid working knowledge and running his own shop in town there (after moving halfway across the country) says he's doing something right.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:01 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Dont get ina big hurry and start buying this or that, do a littlle research and get out with the jeep. I have a teraflex spacer lift in my pile of old parts that I removed from a jeep a couple months ago.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheDirtman:
karls10jk (02-25-2021), Reddout99 (02-26-2021)

Quick Reply: New to Jeeps buying one this week need input