Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New to Jeeps buying one this week need input

Old 02-13-2021, 10:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to Jeeps buying one this week need input

I am going to be buying a 4 door jeep this week. There are 2 I can choose from. They are being shipped to a local dealer, and I have only seen a photo of each. From the photos I've seen, 1 is a 2016 sport with 70k Grey or silver, and the other is a 2018 sport with 38k miles. I was told the 2016 was a manual but looking at their site, it says both are auto. The 2016 looks like it has larger tires, but not sure if it has a lift or not. I don't know the size of the tires yet. The 2018 is all stock. What is likely the better jeep, if any? not condition wise but historically?

My down payment is a 50 BMG, silencer, and 883 rounds of ammo. LOL, I have an additional 7k to put down or save it for "upgrades."
I live in Northern NV, and trails are everywhere. I am not a rock Crawler; I take my RZR over anything but not sure I want to do the jeep part. I am interested in overnight camping, dirt roads, and some rough trails. If it leads to something cool, this jeep will be mostly used as computing to work but will also be made to attract attention for my gun business. It's a write off LOL. I love the look of 37 and 4" but I don't want to pay the piper for that look at this point. I did read that thread. I was trying to get the rubicon, and I could still if I wait long enough. I'm tall, so a lift is ok. 3" best ride is what I'm looking for. Great full roof rack, rock slider, or sidebars to step on. A solid front and rear bumper for a winch. What I don't know is how to spend my money in the best way possible. Opinions and suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.
Mike
Old 02-14-2021, 03:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dang. Hard to know where to begin with advising. If this is all that new to you. Then you may wish to do a bit more forum research on year models, axle ratios, their mechanical histories, etc. before a purchase. Dont be blinded by emotions or bling-trinkets. And of course the purpose(s) of the jeeps use(s).

Personally, I would likely lean towards stock vs a huge lift an such a large tire...(Not knowing how they built it, what they did with it, and what you would be inheriting.)

(And yes. There are some great decked out jeeps for a good price. But....)

Not that a stock might not have issues. Again. Research a bit more perhaps. Rather than opinions, like mine, where no one has seen them for a fair evaluation and comparison. Way too many variables.

There will always be used and gently used jeeps out there. Get some help from a local jeeper or club. A second or third set of friendly eyes and questions for sure. Remember at the dealership its called sales for a reason. Best of luck.

Last edited by jkk9; 02-14-2021 at 03:19 AM.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 410 Likes on 385 Posts

Ditto on inclined to go with the STOCK '18 for all the reasons posted. Is the Stock 18 the JK model? The JK in 18 is the tried and proven one.. the JL was the new into. With the Stock you build it your way, Being a 6'5" guy I can testify that an AEV 2.5" Dual Sport lift will make you STEP UP especially with 35's. Our 13 JKU with 2.5" and non-factory steel fenders could accommodate 37s but we have New 35s. Going with the other one really needs to know what brand of components were installed, an extensive undercarriage inspection for evidence of use is definitely in order too. Not saying that the Stock didn't go off road either so inspect thoroughly.. Good LUCK. post up pics when you finalize.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

My vote is the same. Go with the 18, do the 2.5 - 3" and 35s max. Good start there. Hopefully it has the 3.73 gears. If not it is almost cheaper to go with a Ruby transfer case rather than regear it.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Modding your Jeep is a TON of fun. I have gone both ways and will never do anything but stock again. Many buy a car and then get bored after a couple years. Not Wrangler owners. We just change out the fenders, bumpers, lift, top, etc. and it's like we just bought a new vehicle. Your favorite piece of mail is about to be the Quadratec catalogue. Within a few years, you will be buying stuff from fabricators to make your Jeep one of a kind.

And not everyone is great at modifications -- mechanics included. Many will do 37s on Dana 30 with no sleeve or trusses. Or will put on a cheap lift that sags within a year or so. Better for you to do it your way.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:50 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Agree with all the above points. I'd buy the stock '18 with lower miles. There's nothing worse than dealing with what a previous owner did before you IMO. Start from scratch, make it your own.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Clearly the 2016 is a JK, but what about the 2018 - is it a JK or a JL ?

The difference in models may make the choice easy - different interiors, different standard options (stop / start at traffic lights etc).

From the 'feel' of your post (likely not gonna mod everything from the wheels up), I would side with the previous posts and say go with the maiden 2018 - start with a clear slate.

Having said that (just to play devils advocate) - in my opinion, you can do wayyyy more to a JK (more options & accessories available) and it is easier to mod (less 'nanny' controls & electronics to defeat).

Lol, I apologize if my post has further muddied the waters with your selection process - but hey, you're getting a Jeep - HAPPY DAYS !

Neville
Old 02-14-2021, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

They are both JK. I'm not sure if the 16 is lifted or not. I will know more tomorrow. I love modding things. I did a frame-up n a 97 f350 it was a rusted out POS. I had time and money to blow so I rebuilt it. I will mod this jeep out but I want to do it smartly do it once as much as possible. I'm already looking at the new front-end cost but used 44 going for 3200 shipped? I rather build a new aftermarket unit. I like the look of this jeep. Not mine but it's nice.

not mine but i like the look
Old 02-14-2021, 11:18 AM
JK Newbie

This is a friend's jeep. I really like the look. That is me pretending it's mine.

The following users liked this post:
Jay2013jk (02-14-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Hah,hah - I just noticed you are in Fallon !

I have some dear friends who live on Harrigan Rd out there.

Lol - do either of the the trucks have A/C ?

P.S. Go with the 2018 ......

Neville

Quick Reply: New to Jeeps buying one this week need input