Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New to the jeep world and have sime questions

Old 01-25-2012, 12:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the jeep world and have sime questions

I just got my first jeep ever. 2010 2dr rubicon. I don't really know much about wheeling or jeeps. I have friends who have jeeps but theres are torn to hell from offroading and not installing things correctly.

I ordered a 2.5" spacer lift from rough country. It has brake extenders, the coil spacers, and shock extenders. Is there anything else I should order before I get to lifting it. I have 32 bfgs right now but I want to upgrade to 34 or 35. Can I run those on stock rims with spacers. Also do I need to order certain things to go off road a little to play rather then go crazy. Thanks for any help given.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-539780794.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	269513  
Old 01-25-2012, 03:14 AM
JK Freak

Welcome to the forum. Seems to be a lot on new members from SC lately. At that height, you really don't need anything but the spacers and shock extenders. You can run 315/70R17 tires on stock wheels with spacers. Next steps would be adjustable trackbars, new longer shocks, new springs, control arms, driveshafts, extended brake lines, extended vent hoses, and it never stops...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...w+stock+wheels
Old 01-25-2012, 04:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you. That info is greatly appreciated. I guess I will put the spacers on and then as time goes on just slowly replace bit by bit. I did notice Alot of new jeeps around my area before I got mine, has the jk jeep really been that successful down south?
Old 01-25-2012, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Welcome to the Forum! Yep, sounds like you got it all down for this initial install. And JohnnyQuik mentioned the rest for later on. Good luck and have fun!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sirisa0408
Thank you. That info is greatly appreciated. I guess I will put the spacers on and then as time goes on just slowly replace bit by bit. I did notice Alot of new jeeps around my area before I got mine, has the jk jeep really been that successful down south?
No prob. Gulches isn't far from Anderson and is a great place to test out your new setup without tearing anything up (unless you want to).
Old 01-25-2012, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've heard Alot about the gulches. What does place have?
Old 01-26-2012, 05:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

From personal experience get gussets for the trac bars front and rear. I sheared the front one off stock, I was going down the highway at 75-80 MPH when it gave and let me tell you thats not a good feeling. Rear didnt give until the 37's and a lot of whoops out in the desert. Also from experience do the sleeve and C gussets for the front axle right off the bat to save any heartache later on. These are my experiences and apparently not too uncommon from what I've seen on the forum. Welcome to the life of Just Empty Every Pocket.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you are on the right track with the upgrades. I always suggest wheeling a jeep stock and finding out how it handles and the limitations. This will give you a baseline to evaluate future mods and in the long run make you a much better driver off road. Most of all have fun!
Old 01-26-2012, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have that same lift, and I run 315/70/r17 and you will have no problem running 35's with wheel spacers, my wheels are 4.5 inch back spacing., you may have to remove the air dam or trim it. There is plenty of room. You don't need a new track bar or anything, the lift really dont move the axle over that much. If you want to get picky RC make track bar drop down brackets. I've been running my RC 2.5 for about 9 months now with no issues. Your rubies shocks should still be fine, unless you just really want to upgrade. That's the thing about Jeeps you can go as mild or wild as you want and as much as your wallet can take. Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

i took it wheeling about a week after i got it. i went with some buddys of mine. one has a cherokee with 3'' lift and 31s and the other had a tj stock. i barely even hit the gas, going over hills, rocks, and mud was a easy thing for mine. theres on the other side wasnt as easy as mine. definately for the cherokee, he bent his exhaust when rolling back over rocky hills we were climbing. i just want my jk to look sick and handle really well for whatever comes it way, and if i want it done right, i need to do it right the first time instead of half and half. thanks for all the awesome input guys. you all help out this newbie alot.

Quick Reply: New to the jeep world and have sime questions