Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Jeep Wheel and Tire Questions

Old 11-29-2012, 08:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Jeep Wheel and Tire Questions

Hello all,
I picked up my 2013 2dr Sport + last week and am thinking about wheels and tires. I've done a bunch of research and have narrowed things down to a couple of options.
First off, I don't plan on adding a lift to my jeep anytime soon. I mostly want to improve the stance and possibly get some black wheels.
I've been considering just getting new wheels and using my existing tires which are 255-75-17s. I'm struggling a bit with the specs though.

I've been looking at these wheels:

KMC XD Addict Series Matte Black 17X9" 5X5" Bolt Pattern
KMC, XD Addict Series Wheel, Matte Black 17" x 9", 5" X 5" Bold Pattern, Back Spacing 4.5" XD79879050712N

but they come in two different configurations.

•Wheel Size: 17x9
•Bolt Pattern: 5x5
•Back Spacing: 5.7
•Offset: +18mm

and

•Size: 17" x 9"
•Bolt Pattern: 5 x 5.0"
•Offset: -12 mm
•Back Spacing: 4.5"

Any thoughts on which configuration would work best for my jeep? I'd like to widen the stance a little bit while not going crazy. Are wheel spacers an option? I know that they were a big no-no on my Mustang.
Any thoughts or opinions are welcome!
Old 11-29-2012, 02:34 PM
JK Newbie

The second one with the 4.5" back spacious get is what you want if you want a slightly wider stance. The offset on the other ones are going to bring the tire closer to the center of the jeep and may cause them to come into contact with the body when the wheel is turned or cause problems by hitting the rotors. I'm not an expert, just some things to think about and verify before you buy the wheels. The second ones with the 4.5" backspace are the same size as I have on my 2011 JKU with a 2.5 RK lift and 35 inch by 12 Duratracs and there are no problems with the tires hitting the body during turns or the rotors.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:42 PM
Former Vendor

+1 on 4.5" Back Space. The wheel will stick out of the fender flare a little but that isn't a big deal.

If you are set on the 9" wheels then you definitely need wider tires. The rim range of that size tire is typically 6.5"-8.5".

You can physically mount it on the wheel but both myself and the tire manufacturer DO NOT RECOMMEND IT!!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:27 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks all!
I'm not set on a 9 inch rim. I was really just looking for advice about the backspacing and the offset. I appreecaite the help!
Old 05-06-2013, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smashboogie 4x4
+1 on 4.5" Back Space. The wheel will stick out of the fender flare a little but that isn't a big deal.

If you are set on the 9" wheels then you definitely need wider tires. The rim range of that size tire is typically 6.5"-8.5".

You can physically mount it on the wheel but both myself and the tire manufacturer DO NOT RECOMMEND IT!!
How much of a problem is this? I want to use the OEM 255/75R17 T/A KM's until I'm ready to add a lift and son 12.5x35" MT's. Anything smaller than 9" in width seems like a bad idea for the bigger tires. Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: New Jeep Wheel and Tire Questions