Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Jeep owner needs advice...

Old 06-28-2012, 04:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Jeep owner needs advice...

Thanks for any advice you guys have I currently got my first jeep (I remember riding in my uncles years ago and had to get one first chance I could!) It's a 2011 JK Unlimited Sport.
I wanted to get a few things and need some advice from the pros before I waste time and money-
First: what's the best Cold air intake for the money?
Second: exhaust to match it with?
Any other engine mods I should look into after/before these?

I plan on getting some fender flares, lighting, and bumpers down the road but I feel like this is the first place to start!
let me know your thoughts and looking forward to getting things moving!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0157.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	335014  
Old 06-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

My recommendation would be to pick up a Superchips tuner and a drop in filter like a K&N. This will give more noticeable power than the cai or exhaust, and help with the fuel economy a little
Old 06-28-2012, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your Jeep!

I've been researching this for a while and it's my next upgrade. Take a look at the Banks Stinger system... once I have the funds that's what I'll be going with.

Banks Power | 91-11 Jeep - 4.0L, 3.8L & 2.5L>>Stinger® System, 3.8L

Good luck!

Last edited by Robar; 06-28-2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Please do not post clickable non-sponsor links
Old 06-28-2012, 05:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Default another thought...

You ask about engine mods, exhaust and air intake changes but depending on what you are looking to do with your rig and tire size Regearing may very well be your best bet for the biggest difference. There is my Good luck with your new rig and welcome to the forum.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:31 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks

Looking into the Banks now-- looks like everything I am currently wanting!
I have 35" tires currently-- do you think I should get re-geared and how much am I looking at if i do?
Thanks again,
Old 06-29-2012, 01:53 AM
JK Junkie

Here's some advice from personal experience, don't waste your money on a CAI. I had one and I noticed I lost that bottom end grunt. To me the CAI was noticeable at higher rpms. Plus it leaves you open to hydrolocking if you go thru deep water or heavy rains. Spend that money on a Superchips tuner. You will need this to calibrate your speedometer due to the 35s. By doing this it will bring back your shiftpoints on your auto trans plus it will give you some horsepower and torque. an aftermarket exhaust is okay, maybe look into one that relocates it under the center of the jeep rather than the stock location. This will lessen the chances of the muffler getting damaged. Lastly, definitely look into regearing to either 4.88 or 5.13s. My last jeep had 3.73 gearing and it sucked pulling the 33s. When I upgraded to 35s I regeared to 5.13s. I couldn't imagine driving with the stock gearing rolling on 35s ...

.... You have a 2011, not sure if Superchips is available for that year. If not get a ProCal, this will be needed to calibrate your speedo and bring back your shiftpoints....

The gear set may run you ~$500 and the labor/materials to install them are around $1k-$1500. In my area I spent $1200 for the install....

Jeep looks great....Have fun modding.....

Last edited by aldaman; 06-29-2012 at 01:57 AM.

Quick Reply: New Jeep owner needs advice...