Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Hypertech Max Energy options - what are you running?

Old 01-30-2012, 05:06 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypertech
... The complaint that motivated the auto crawl tune function is simply to address the major complaint about our competition. My guys reverse engineered the ability to change tables when shifted into Low range. ...
The "auto crawl" tune function sounds nice -- What tables change in 4lo?
Old 01-30-2012, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default tuning

Here are my results.... 09 JK Sport Auto - Stock Tires - Volant Cold Air Intake - Viper Throttle Body - Hypertech Max Energy w/ New Options

Premium Tune, 10%, 20%, 30% Throttle Response, 3.73, 31.5" Tires, Stock Thermostat

I have a serious lag at initial take off. From a dead stop, when you begin moving under normal acceleration, there is a lag and then all of a sudden the power just "kicks in".... (My wife actually asked me why I keep "flooring it" every time I take off...) So much so, that if the roads are wet, the rear tires will begin to spin when the power kicks in.... No way to describe how the power hits after the lag other than to compare it to the feeling of my old Camaro SS when I hit the NOS.... From a dead stop, there is a terrible "dead" spot from right off idle to maybe 10 mph....then too much power hits all at one time.. If I slow to a 2-3 mph roll and then take off with the same amount of throttle "normal acceleration", the power delivery is smooth with no lag or dead spot--but, if I come to a complete stop and then take off (like at a red light) the Jeep feels like a turtle for 20 feet or so and like I described earlier, the power just instantly "hits" -- you actually have to feather the throttle if the roads are wet because the tires will spin

I initially tuned the Jeep for a few weeks with the Max Energy only (factory air intake and throttle body). This lag was there but absolutely no where near what it is now. The combination of the Viper TB and Air Intake have dramatically increased the lag.

Don't get me wrong...the seat of the pants feeling and added power over stock is a big improvement. I just have an issue with this major lag from a dead stop.... Is there some type of torque management programmed into the computer to protect the drivetrain during initial takeoff (similar to GM vehicles)?

Ant ideas ?
Old 01-30-2012, 06:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRedRubi
I have a serious lag at initial take off. From a dead stop, when you begin moving under normal acceleration, there is a lag and then all of a sudden the power just "kicks in".... (My wife actually asked me why I keep "flooring it" every time I take off...)
I get EXACTLY the same response. I've "detuned" the low to 0% and medium to 15% and still get a bit of lag. Thinking about trying -10%/0%/30% or thereabouts (is "thereabouts" a word?). I really like having the high setting at the high end. It feels so good maintaining speed with so little throttle action.

Would like to understand the lag issue. When I go to stock, the Jeep feels the same starting out, but just stays kind of "blah" the whole throttle range.

I really REALLY like the 4lo setting at -50%. It makes crawling much nicer and smoother. The wife noticed the difference right off.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default tuning

I agree with you on the 4 lo tuning!!! I wonder if the people with the sprint booster are experiencing this same take off lag? Is the Hypertech throttle response tuning in the low setting only adjusting the throttle response at a certain speed or rpm or is there that big of a delay in the throttle body opening? I find it odd that the power delivery is smooth when starting off from a roll, but is lethargic when taking off from a stop and then the power just "all of a sudden" just hits at once... This seems to be a tuning issue?
Old 01-31-2012, 06:01 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Hypertech Representative

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call us so we can discuss your concerns in detail.

Never hesitate to call our tech support with any questions or concerns. 800-532-3351
Old 01-31-2012, 07:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same lag before Christmas. Think they have fixed that or are working on it anyway. Now had really high idle and they are working on this. One thing I can say is they are really easy to get ahold of when ya have problems and seem to be working to fix these issues
Old 01-31-2012, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jvandy50
Had the same lag before Christmas. Think they have fixed that or are working on it anyway. Now had really high idle and they are working on this. One thing I can say is they are really easy to get ahold of when ya have problems and seem to be working to fix these issues
Jvandy, did you have to set all back to stock to stop the high idle? I'm currently fighting the high idle, and I haven't touched the RPM settings.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bbkoz
Jvandy, did you have to set all back to stock to stop the high idle? I'm currently fighting the high idle, and I haven't touched the RPM settings.
yes i just set it back to stock because it wasn't drivable. just got off the phone with hypertech and they said it'll be thursday before they have something. i did have to plug mine into laptop so they could get info off it. i would call them, they will probably need your serial number and stuff
Old 01-31-2012, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jvandy50
yes i just set it back to stock because it wasn't drivable. just got off the phone with hypertech and they said it'll be thursday before they have something. i did have to plug mine into laptop so they could get info off it. i would call them, they will probably need your serial number and stuff

I went down from work, and reset all settings, but this time I set the "Winch" idle, that was defaulted to 1600, down to 700. The 700 is the same idle as 4lo, and normal. I did a test drive and all was back to normal. For me, it looks like the Winch setting was the issue. I did notice the RPM's were around 1600 while it was surging at a stop.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bbkoz
I went down from work, and reset all settings, but this time I set the "Winch" idle, that was defaulted to 1600, down to 700. The 700 is the same idle as 4lo, and normal. I did a test drive and all was back to normal. For me, it looks like the Winch setting was the issue. I did notice the RPM's were around 1600 while it was surging at a stop.
hmm, well i'd still call if you want that feature to work if and when you're winching. mine was going to 3k upon starting, but looks like they will have it fixed in the next day or two

Quick Reply: New Hypertech Max Energy options - what are you running?