Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Hypertech Max Energy options - what are you running?

Old 12-24-2011, 09:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Hypertech Max Energy options - what are you running?

Let's see what enhanced Hypertech Max Energy options you are running and why.

To get the ball rolling, here is what I've settled on (for now):

Engine Tuning: Regular. There's a big improvement going from Stock to Regular, but only a bit more improvement in going to Premium. I didn't see enough improvement to justify the extra cost of premium fuel.

Top Speed: Q - 99 MPH. That's the speed rating of the BFG KM2s.

Rev Limit: Default. See no need to change.

Thermostat: Default. I'm running the stock t-stat.

Idle RPM:
4LO: 800 RPM.
I set mine up a bit to get it closer to the TC stall speed. Any higher and the Jeep wants to pull a bit too hard when idling.
Normal: 700 RPM. This is the default idle setting.
Winch - 1600 RPM. This is the default winch setting. This works great with the PowerPlant winch, even in compressor mode. Jim (Jay) at Hypertech said this is the most efficient RPM for the alternator.

Throttle body: Stock.
See no need to put in a Viper TB when the real restriction is the runners.

Throttle response:
4LO: -40%.
Helps to have the throttle "derated" so you have good throttle control when crawling. I thought the default "Hypertech" suggestion of -50% just a bit too sluggish.
LO (<10 MPH): 5%. I noticed if you set a large positive value (like 25%), you really notice a slight lag before the engine surges. This setting is one I'll play with a lot more before I'm done.
MED (<40 MPH): 30%. I'm really liking the snappy mid-speed response.
HI (>40 MPH): 20%. Seems to be a good compromise between snappy response and being too aggressive.

TPMS: 10 PSI.
I run between 12-15 PSI when on the trail. This should tell me quickly if a popped a bead.

Tire Size: 33.75. I have the BFG KM2 35" tires. This setting gets it pretty close to the GPS.

Axle Ratio: 5:13. Because that's what I have.

A word about Vehicle Options: You need to plug in the tuner and have the engine running for these to work. Not practical for me to have the tuner in the vehicle at all times, especially when wheeling. The plug gets in the way. It's not a low-profile plug like the Aeroforce gauge (which I prefer to leave plugged in). I'm hoping the next generation of updates will make these features more useful.

I know other programmers (Superchips, Procal, others?) require you to plug in their unit for similar features. This isn't a slam against Hypertech. It's just I don't find these features particularly convenient when the programmer needs to be plugged in when you want to access them.

Idle Override:
Don't need since the idle already automatically goes up when there's an electrical (Idle RPM Winch option).

Fan Ctrl:
Not very useful since I have great success with turning on the A/C when the engine gets a bit hot. Counter-intuitive, but the A/C forces the fan on. The engine and transmission cool off very quickly when the A/C is on.

Swaybar (Rubicon only):
Can disconnect the swaybar in 2HI or 4HI. On my vehicle, I can do the same thing by putting it in 4LO, disconnecting the swaybar, then shifting back to 2HI or 4HI. The swaybar stays disconnected as long as I don't hit the switch and stay below ~18 MPH.

Locking Ctrl (Rubicon only):
I really don't see a need to have both the front and rear lockers engaged in 4HI. I think having the front locker on in 4HI is too hard on the steering. Options that WOULD be useful to me (but don't exist) are front-only in 4LO for front digs, and rear only in 2HI or 4HI for a bit more high-speed ability in sand.

Traction Ctrl (Rubicon only):
When I select this, the instrument panel lights up like a Christmas tree! The Brake, ABS, swervey vehicle symbol, and ESP/BAS lights all go on. Removing the programmer leaves all of the lights on (and I presume traction control still disabled). Shutting off the engine doesn't clear it either if you just shut off and turn it back on right away. Need to shut the engine off for a while (a few seconds, but don't know exactly) for the lights to stay out. Too annoying to use.

Edit: Final release also has TPMS CONTROL to completely disable the TMPS, but only when Jeep is running, unit is plugged in and the option is selected.

Also came with another great surprise - the ability to save up to 4 user tunes. Very nice feature!

Last edited by AZJeeper; 01-30-2012 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Updated with latest options
Old 12-27-2011, 11:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a fight with my programmer yesterday and ended up going back to stock to make the drive home. i took it to the dealer last week for a recall so it was back to stock for that anyway, but i was having problems with that hesitation you described on the throttle response...couldn't handle it. i was trying to turn left in traffic and that little hesitation made me, and i'm sure the other driver in the car coming head on, fell a little too close for comfort.

now yesterday i was going to reinstall for a 7hr road trip, try to save some mpgs. i install a very similar tune you described above...idle is way too high and i'm having to slam on my brakes to keep the jeep from running through my parents garage. i finally had to turn the key off while it was in drive. so i think maybe i accidentally turned the idles up too high...nope.

so then i try again, turn all the throttle responses down and make sure i didnt have the idles too high. i didnt. took off and thought everything was fine, thennn it started cutting out after 2000-2500 rpm. so i got pissed and set it back to stock, everything worked for that.

only thing i could think of was i needed to update after a trip to the dealer, so all this could be my fault anyway, hooked it up to laptop and it seems i've reverted it back to the old programmer somehow. i have no idea why i have so much trouble with a part that has less buttons than an original nintendo controller. i will call jay tomorrow as he is super helpful and always fixes me up, and these things are usually my fault...just sharing my experience not bashing the product

on another note, were you able to get your TPMS light off with your setting?
Old 12-27-2011, 03:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jvandy50
i was having problems with that hesitation you described on the throttle response...couldn't handle it. i was trying to turn left in traffic and that little hesitation made me, and i'm sure the other driver in the car coming head on, fell a little too close for comfort.
I'm not sure the hesitation was quite that bad for me, but for sure it's there. I notice the same initial throttle response in stock mode. My theory (maybe Hypertech can confirm) is there's an inherent lag in the throttle. By bumping up the low-speed response, it just magnifies the issue. By keeping the low-speed response around zero, the mid-range will pick up after the throttle is by the dead spot - after about 10 MPH. I'm really liking the current settings, though I might actually try a little negative low-speed response to see if the lag disappears. Really, the mid and high range settings make a really nice improvement in the overall feel.

hooked it up to laptop and it seems i've reverted it back to the old programmer somehow. i have no idea why i have so much trouble with a part that has less buttons than an original nintendo controller. i will call jay tomorrow as he is super helpful and always fixes me up, and these things are usually my fault.
Do NOT try an internet update without calling or PMing Jay first. You will get the "old" program. Been there, done that.

on another note, were you able to get your TPMS light off with your setting?
I tried the TPMS settings with a light already on. Doesn't work so hot. Need to make sure all tires are properly aired up and the light is out before resetting the threshold. Once I figured that out, worked like a charm!
Old 12-27-2011, 03:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
I'm not sure the hesitation was quite that bad for me, but for sure it's there. I notice the same initial throttle response in stock mode. My theory (maybe Hypertech can confirm) is there's an inherent lag in the throttle. By bumping up the low-speed response, it just magnifies the issue. By keeping the low-speed response around zero, the mid-range will pick up after the throttle is by the dead spot - after about 10 MPH. I'm really liking the current settings, though I might actually try a little negative low-speed response to see if the lag disappears. Really, the mid and high range settings make a really nice improvement in the overall feel.

Do NOT try an internet update without calling or PMing Jay first. You will get the "old" program. Been there, done that.

I tried the TPMS settings with a light already on. Doesn't work so hot. Need to make sure all tires are properly aired up and the light is out before resetting the threshold. Once I figured that out, worked like a charm!

too late on the internet update, Jay will probably make fun of me for doing this AGAIN lol. and i don't have my TPMS sensors so i can't really do that. i'm sure he will get it figured out when i get a chance to call him.

i am still very confused on the throttle response settings...maybe he can set me straight on those too, because nothing i've done so far has worked
Old 01-18-2012, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
Traction Ctrl (Rubicon only): When I select this, the instrument panel lights up like a Christmas tree! The Brake, ABS, swervey vehicle symbol, and ESP/BAS lights all go on. Removing the programmer leaves all of the lights on (and I presume traction control still disabled). Shutting off the engine doesn't clear it either if you just shut off and turn it back on right away. Need to shut the engine off for a while (a few seconds, but don't know exactly) for the lights to stay out. Too annoying to use.
I had mine updated by calling Jay, and using the Tuner Update Application. I get the same results, but the Christmas tree stays lit for 3 on/off start cycles. After that, the tuning is lost and needs to be reprogrammed.

Are you saying that the unit needs to stay plugged in to keep the tune installed?
Old 01-18-2012, 01:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Registered_Member
I had mine updated by calling Jay, and using the Tuner Update Application. I get the same results, but the Christmas tree stays lit for 3 on/off start cycles. After that, the tuning is lost and needs to be reprogrammed.

Are you saying that the unit needs to stay plugged in to keep the tune installed?
For the five "on-the-fly" options (Idle Override, Fan Ctrl, Swaybar, Locking Ctrl, and Traction Ctrl), pull the plug and it goes back to stock - except for the Christmas Tree effect of the Traction Ctrl option.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:26 PM
JK Freak

Wow! What a difference! Set the Throttle at 5%,20%,20%. 300+ rpm limit and 112 mph. Seat of the pants is immensely better! It was quick before, but now it's fast. Can't wait to try out the plugged in features (lockers and sway bar).
Old 01-27-2012, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

From your list, here is what I've settled on (for now):

Engine Tuning: premium. I'll take all the power I can get for .20/gal

Top Speed: Default Never going to see this in my jeep

Rev Limit: Default. See no need to change.

Thermostat: Default. I'm running the stock t-stat.

Idle RPM:
4LO: 700 RPM. I used the default but may play around with this.
Normal: 700 RPM. This is the default idle setting.
Winch - 1600 RPM. This is the default winch setting.

Throttle body: Stock. See no need to put in a Viper TB when the real restriction is the runners.

Throttle response:
I used the hypertech settings for now. Going on a run tomorrow to test this out some more

TPMS: 7 PSI. I run between 7-12 PSI when on the trail. This should tell me quickly if I popped a bead.

Tire Size: 34.5. I have the MTR-K 35" tires. This setting gets it pretty close to the GPS.

Axle Ratio: 4.88. Because that's what I have.

Really wish there was a way to use the option features without the programmer plugged in. I would use the axle locks for hiway snow driving. Need them to get started sometimes (steep icy driveway) but then turn them off at speed without having to stop and shift out of low.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:21 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Hypertech Representative

Keep up the feedback this will only makes us better. I share all feedback with the company owner and my development staff.
We have a JK focus group that meets and brainstorms with my R&D department. The complaint that motivated the auto crawl tune function is simply to address the major complaint about our competition. My guys reverse engineered the ability to change tables when shifted into Low range. The auto idle up feature was developed to address the same frustration. The JK market was developed by Hypertech and we have been first to market on every JK model to date.

?Who do you think will be the first company to copy our code to add these features. ?

FYI: Sprintex and Hypertech have joined teams to release the first Supercharger kit specifically manufactured for our JK's ( release date is Easter jeep)
Old 01-30-2012, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well here's some positive feedback. I used the Hypertech throttle settings cause I didn't know what I wanted and am very happy with the result. Went on a trail run Sat and really liked how the low range settings worked off road. Throttle response on road is much improved also. This is a great starting point for the throttle settings, though I may fiddle with it a little later to see if I like any minor adjustments.

Quick Reply: New Hypertech Max Energy options - what are you running?