Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

new guy, new rubicon, need advice

Old 10-04-2012, 10:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy, new rubicon, need advice

i have an '08 2door and am wanting to clear 38's.

this is going to be my daily driver.

im looking at the rc 6" kit.

i cannot regear now even though i know i should. i drive backroads only and its a standard tranny.

everybody and their mother is trying to talk me out of a 6" kit.
yes i know i should regear and yes i know rc is bottom of the bucket but wouldnt it get the job done??
i dont want to flat fender.

although when i search i can find a bunch of guys running 6" lift and big sneakers and they all are from this forum, so i figured i would like to get opinions from you.

i have a tight budget.

what is wrong with this
i understand that jks are different, as my last 2 vehicles were jeep and chevy on 38's and 40" swampers so im used to jacking em up and riding like a cement truck.

alls im looking to do is clear the tires and drive around.
and yes..its just for looks.
thanks

Last edited by stump1; 10-04-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thats alot of weight on stock parts. Alot more upgrades than regearing to make it a reliable daily driver
Old 10-04-2012, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Lifting 6" Requires lots of mods: Drive shafts, all f/r upper and lower control arms, shocks, brake lines, drag link/steering, etc. (Not inexpensive)

37's/38's require a good amount of work as well. So then you're gonna have to re-gear, beef up axle tubes, truss, gusset, etc.... or buy new axles (D60's)...

You're not planning on wheeling, but if you jack this think up you will definitely want to wheel it, trust me...

This kind of project you want requires a heavy pocket book

Last edited by emiles1987; 10-04-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by emiles1987
Lifting 6" Requires lots of mods: Drive shafts, all f/r upper and lower control arms, shocks, brake lines, drag link/steering, etc. (Not inexpensive)

37's/38's require a good amount of work as well. So then you're gonna have to re-gear, beef up axle tubes, truss, gusset, etc.... or buy new axles (D60's)...

You're not planning on wheeling, but if you jack this think up you will definitely want to wheel it, trust me...

This kind of project you want requires a heavy pocket book

ok thanks guys
you mention all the suspension components that come in the rc kit though excep ds's which im aware i need new ones.

also, i have a yj im rolling on 38" swampers with just a 30/8.8 with 6" lift and 4.10's and i dont wheel that either and i have no probs.

dunno..
Old 10-04-2012, 10:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You are in the right place to find out about phat tires on a JK.

Not sure you will like what you find, though. Its true that a bargain 6" lift will get the Jeep up there, but without changes to the control arms, track bars, drive shafts, and more, the Jeep may not drive very far or very safely. Jeeps that are built up to go off-road and handle 38-40" tires have anywhere from $20K to 60K invested over the price of the Jeep.

With a 3.5" suspension lift plus a 2" body lift and a set of flat fenders you might be able to run the tires on the street with just the lift and new drive shafts.

Stopping a JK on 38s with stock brakes is another story.

If all that matters is driving around on tall meats, a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup is cheaper in the long run.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

6 inches really isn't needed.. Are you putting the kit on or is someone else..

I would look at the terraflex 6imch long arm kit that comes with free shocks
Old 10-04-2012, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

It's my understanding that, on stock unmodified axles, even a 35" tire can bend the C's on these JK's. Yes, it may be acceptable on your YJ, but the JK has considerably wider axles than the older Wranglers. This extra width, coupled with bigger tires/offset rims, acts as leverage to bend your C's when you hit a pot hole, or when you travel down a rough back road. Not regearing the 3.8L with tires that big would be a huge strain on the motor to try and move those big meats, and as mentioned before stopping them is another story. I know you said you travel mostly back roads, and so do I. I almost feel like brakes are more important in that environment. With all the deer on the side of the road, I like to be able to stop when I see bambi instead of adding to the body count.

Like others have said, you need more than just a lift to go up 6" and have a drivable vehicle. Especially a daily drivable vehicle.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 6" lift

I have a 6" long arm on my JKUR , and only 35s right now. I can tell you that most of these guys that have posted up about your questions are correct. your gas milage with 38s will suck , and not to mention you will have no performance without regearing. Also without trimming the leading edge of the fender well pinch seam your tires will rub and get cut into. you will need all the parts the others have mentioned , along with the inner Cs bending , so does the thin axle tubes . I personnally can't understand why you would want to do these mods. for a street vehicle , except for to possibly look cool . I have done all the mods. the others have mentioned for one reason only , to wheel the crap out of the jeep , and I have . you say you want to do it cheaply , if you do , you will hate the ride when you are done and also void any warrantee you may have on the vehicle . I say do it right and spend the several thousands of dollars , or don't do it , you will not like it by doing it cheaply , I promise you!

Quick Reply: new guy, new rubicon, need advice