Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New guy here. Started making changes to my '13 JKU (Badlands and Silver Lake areas)

Old 07-16-2015, 04:58 PM
srg
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy here. Started making changes to my '13 JKU (Badlands and Silver Lake areas)

Had a few questions that the search feature really didn't turn up specific answers too. This might turn into a long post.

Background.
Bought my Jeep ('13 JKU Sahara, auto/3.21's) new with 37 miles on it Memorial Day weekend of '13. As of today it has 56,000 miles. Yes I drive a lot for work. It is my daily driver. I love it, it has served well thru two snowy and icey winters........ exceptionally well!

This summer I started the modifications.
I installed Bushwacker Flat fender flares
275/65/20" BFG TA KO2's (basically 34x10.5), I like narrow AT tires on a DD rig, especially one that sees snow and ice.
And 20" KMC Misfits with 5" backspace. This wheel/tire combo with BW flats only rubs the plastic air dam under the front bumper on really tight turns, like full lock.
AFE Cold air intake
Superchips Flashpaq, I was really impressed by this for the $240. My thinking was I needed to have more HP and TQ due to my factory gearing and 95lb wheel and tire combo.

I wheeled it bone stock with 51,000 miles on the factory Bridgestone Duellers at Silver Lake Dunes and if I kept the traction control off and used the manual shift select mode, I really never had a problem as long as I kept momentum up.

Friends and I are planning a trip to the Badlands and a 2nd trip back to Silver Lake in the fall.

I have a Teraflex 2"/1" spacer leveling kit and Bilstein 5100's waiting for me to install.
That's where my questions come in.
With a heavy wheel/tire combo, would it be wise to get the Teraflex HD front track bar?
With such a small lift, what exactly do I need to do with the rear axle centering?
Are JKS front swaybar disconnects a good option for ease of use and durability?
What about rear disconnects?
What can I expect the overall above combo to be capable of at the Badlands?
Lastly, why is typing on this message forum such a pain in the butt?

Last edited by srg; 07-16-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Search feature sucks. Thats all I got. Good luck.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

Default General Preliminary Concerns

Hey glad to hear about your set up and desire to use what you have. I like your ideas about leaving the skinny ATs instead of wasting the rubber off of some grabby MTs. First question: did you change the gear ratio when you upgraded your tire size? Second question: did you re-calibrate your computer for the upgraded tire size and gear ratio? If not, that should be your first concern before any off road trips. Shift timing and all that stuff.

Allow me to answer your questions with some information about myself. I drive a 2007 JK Unlimited Sahara with 35" Dick Cepeks on a 4" rough country lift kit. My lift does not include any upgrade to the track bar or control arms. yes I may be committing a sin by running such a daring configuration but I abuse the bejeezus out of it in mud, over rocks and the occasional rally use. I live in AZ so the mud is really just quick sand but lets not get too technical. I have had no real issues because of the control arms. if I was going for some serious articulation then I would definitely upgrade but I don't like to rock crawl with a manual transmission. Burning the clutch just smells like burning money. So all that being said. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

On the topic of disconnects, I don't actually have a rear sway bar anymore. And I never remove my sway bar disconnects on the front sway bar. The only reason I have no rear sway bar is fitment issues with my bigger axle. The only reason you should want more articulation is for some serious rock crawling but I have never removed mine, ever, and have gotten over some pretty gnarly stuff.

Have fun in the Badlands!
Old 07-16-2015, 06:30 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

JKS quicker disconnects are a good route to go.
You don't disconnect the rear
Use a raised axle side bracket to raise the rear track bar and center the axle but at 1-2" it will not be off by much at all.
Your tire/wheel combo will suck off road with the thin stiff sidewalls. At 95 pounds they are not that heavy.

Badlands has all kinds of terrain from mud, to sand dunes, wooded trails, a nice creek run, and a quarry with some pretty good rock crawling. Lots of steep climbs all over the park. Its a great place to wheel.

Have fun!
Old 07-16-2015, 07:51 PM
srg
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RADAR
Hey glad to hear about your set up and desire to use what you have. I like your ideas about leaving the skinny ATs instead of wasting the rubber off of some grabby MTs. First question: did you change the gear ratio when you upgraded your tire size? Second question: did you re-calibrate your computer for the upgraded tire size and gear ratio? If not, that should be your first concern before any off road trips. Shift timing and all that stuff.

Allow me to answer your questions with some information about myself. I drive a 2007 JK Unlimited Sahara with 35" Dick Cepeks on a 4" rough country lift kit. My lift does not include any upgrade to the track bar or control arms. yes I may be committing a sin by running such a daring configuration but I abuse the bejeezus out of it in mud, over rocks and the occasional rally use. I live in AZ so the mud is really just quick sand but lets not get too technical. I have had no real issues because of the control arms. if I was going for some serious articulation then I would definitely upgrade but I don't like to rock crawl with a manual transmission. Burning the clutch just smells like burning money. So all that being said. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

On the topic of disconnects, I don't actually have a rear sway bar anymore. And I never remove my sway bar disconnects on the front sway bar. The only reason I have no rear sway bar is fitment issues with my bigger axle. The only reason you should want more articulation is for some serious rock crawling but I have never removed mine, ever, and have gotten over some pretty gnarly stuff.

Have fun in the Badlands!
Thanks for the info.
Yep, I used the Flashpaq to recalibrate the speedo it seems to shift fine. I did not change gearing, i'm still on the factory 3.21's (stupid me should have got the tow package so I'd atleast have 3.73's). However, with the 93 octane tune, it has pretty good "gittyup and go" and feels stronger then when it was stock.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:58 PM
srg
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
JKS quicker disconnects are a good route to go.
You don't disconnect the rear
Use a raised axle side bracket to raise the rear track bar and center the axle but at 1-2" it will not be off by much at all.
Your tire/wheel combo will suck off road with the thin stiff sidewalls. At 95 pounds they are not that heavy.

Badlands has all kinds of terrain from mud, to sand dunes, wooded trails, a nice creek run, and a quarry with some pretty good rock crawling. Lots of steep climbs all over the park. Its a great place to wheel.

Have fun!
Thanks for the info.
I guess i was tryin to be a realist with my tire choice based off of the over whelming percentage of time I spend on road.

This video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4gSxbT9_kc And this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhpHUv9uux0 Is the main reason I was asking about the Teraflex HD front track bar. It appears to be a really solid piece.

Last edited by srg; 07-16-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:03 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

20" wheels don't make sense on a jeep running less then a 38" tire, even then I would still prefer a 17" wheel for offroad. Small tires on a 20" wheel are good for high speed cornering but thats about it and a jeep is not set up as a sports car. Tires for 20" wheels are expensive and will give a rougher ride over a 17" due to the smaller sidewall that can absorb some of the road noise.

As far as the track bar up front if you feel you need one (seems like you think you do) go ahead and upgrade. It will give you more strength over the factory one and will allow you to perfectly center the axle. Teraflex would not be my choice in an after market track bar though.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:11 AM
srg
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
20" wheels don't make sense on a jeep running less then a 38" tire, even then I would still prefer a 17" wheel for offroad. Small tires on a 20" wheel are good for high speed cornering but thats about it and a jeep is not set up as a sports car. Tires for 20" wheels are expensive and will give a rougher ride over a 17" due to the smaller sidewall that can absorb some of the road noise.

As far as the track bar up front if you feel you need one (seems like you think you do) go ahead and upgrade. It will give you more strength over the factory one and will allow you to perfectly center the axle. Teraflex would not be my choice in an after market track bar though.

Well, considering I put 56,000 miles on it in just over 2yrs, on road handling played a big part in my decision. I actually have a little more sidewall now, than with the factory 255/70/18's. It is what it is. This is my daily driver.
The AT tire choices that come in 17-18" wheel sizes, that don't weigh a ton, don't require excessive backspacing and that actually measure up to their advertised height are almost non existent.
And the tires were $280/ea. Not that expensive.

What do you recommend one does with the front track with a leveling kit?

Last edited by srg; 07-17-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

A little off topic. But get a cb radio of some sort if your friends all have them. Makes the day so much nicer.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Who's video with the teraflex trackbar? Specs on the lift?

Quick Reply: New guy here. Started making changes to my '13 JKU (Badlands and Silver Lake areas)