Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

new gears, weird noises

Old 03-24-2010, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red
A whine or a hum with lower gears is common and normal. Let me explain that statement a bit more. All gears will make some kind of noise, but lower gears tend to make more noise. Also, how the teeth are cut, is responsible for the amount of noise - some will "pop" more than others. Generally speaking, the gear whine is not significantly audible in the vehicle with the engine under load, i.e. it gets drowned out by engine and wind noise, and often by the radio. Also, and this is important, the whine is constant and the frequency is relative to vehicle speed. If it makes noise only at a certain speed or only under acceleration or deceleration or a noise other than a somewhat pleasant hum, it is probably something bad.
Would that include a noise that sounds slightly more high pitch than tires, but builds in volume with the vehicle speed? When I get to 60mph or above, it gets a good bit louder than the tires. When I let off the gas to coast, it gets quieter, but not totally gone. I know its not the tires because the noise immediately increases in volume as soon as I barely touch the gas pedal. I bought Rubi axles that had 5.13's already installed, but I changed the pinion flanges for my driveshafts, and I'm just paranoid that I didnt get the pinion nut tight enough when I retorqued them. The nuts are secure where I left them, but I just figure I messed something up as usual.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just had 5.13's installed a couple weeks ago, I can't hear them at all.

I would say a noise is not normal and at the very least go back to the shop and have them pop the diff cover to check what is going on?
Old 03-24-2010, 10:21 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Google Randys Ring and Pinion, look at the FAQ page, gear noise is not normal.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:23 AM
JK Jedi Master
Veteran: Air ForceFJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by willypapooh
yea i am going to take it there tomorrow. hey Donnie where is cummings Ga? i am from Mcdonough.
My oldest son lives in Cumming--it's north of Atlanta about 30 minutes. One of my closest friends got married in McDonough. He'll be flying out from Washington state to travel with me to wheel Moab in late April.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gear noise tends to be higher pitched than the tire or engine noise, but it tends to diminish as the gears break-in.

If you have had your gears for a while and the noise level is suddenly higher, I would investigate.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spinlock
The gear noise tends to be higher pitched than the tire or engine noise, but it tends to diminish as the gears break-in.

If you have had your gears for a while and the noise level is suddenly higher, I would investigate.
I bought a set of Rubi axles that already had the gears installed. I had to pull off the pinion flanges off both of them so they would work with my driveshafts. I put at least 200 ft/lbs of torque on the pinion nut when I install the new flanges, but I'm just worried it wasnt enough. I didnt use a new nut, just what was on there. The nuts have not backed out at all, but I just figure its something I did.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:01 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Take it back! Ours get test drove, and leave the shop perfect everytime!

Old 03-24-2010, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CitadelJeep04
I bought a set of Rubi axles that already had the gears installed. I had to pull off the pinion flanges off both of them so they would work with my driveshafts. I put at least 200 ft/lbs of torque on the pinion nut when I install the new flanges, but I'm just worried it wasnt enough. I didnt use a new nut, just what was on there. The nuts have not backed out at all, but I just figure its something I did.
Technically, the pinion nut is not re-usable. You should install a new one every time you remove one. They are only good for one torguing. That said, not sure if you can get away with re-using them, but for $1.25 is it worth trying to?
Old 03-24-2010, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

I have 5.13s as well. It doesn't make any noise gears 1 through 6 but when I put it in reverse it occasionally does. Also had mine done at 4 wheel parts. Luckily it has the 3 year warranty!
Old 03-25-2010, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by therza
Technically, the pinion nut is not re-usable. You should install a new one every time you remove one. They are only good for one torguing. That said, not sure if you can get away with re-using them, but for $1.25 is it worth trying to?
Yeah I didnt know I would have to change the flanges and was already a few hours in to the install when I realized it, so I didnt have a way to get a new nut. Where is the best place to get them? Dealership?

Quick Reply: new gears, weird noises