Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Gears and Pinion Bearing Goes out

Old 03-06-2009, 04:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Gears and Pinion Bearing Goes out

I just had ARB lockers and 4.88 Gears put in my JK and the next morning the pinion bearing goes out on the way to work. When I took it back to the shop they told me it was nobody's fault and It had nothing to with the work they did. Now they want me to buy new gears but said they would do the install for free. Im I crazy thinking they should cover the new gears?
Old 03-06-2009, 04:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like an improper ARB install to me! buy the gears and we will do it for FREE but it's not our fault... riiight

Last edited by greenamphibious; 03-06-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Nothing crazy about it!!
Old 03-06-2009, 04:39 PM
JK Jedi

I think it could be possible, as all things are, and parts fail. Here is the thing, If they were not guilty of messing up, they would not offer to "fix" it for free. Shops make money on labor. Spending that much time doing a job for free tying up a bay and a tech.... they don't think it just happened. Just my 2 pennies
Old 03-06-2009, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

I'll be frank about it.
A good shop in business that wants your business will fix that on his dime, not yours again.. It may not be there fault but they installed the parts. If the part just failed they can go back on the manufacturer of the part. Either way the shop I use is still in business because he does not buy crap for parts ( I'm not saying this shop does) and when parts fail they gladly warranty it for the shop I use. Why? Because they know if he does a job it's right. With that said if a mistake is made or something fails he'll back his work 100%.
Does he charge the customer labor again? hell no...
Good Luck...
Old 03-06-2009, 05:38 PM
JK Junkie

Sounds like the bearing pre-load was set to high. I would not pay for the whole thing. Part of it, sure if they can prove it was not their fault.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:03 PM
JK Newbie

I had Yukon Gears put in and he told me 3 people checked that the pinion gear was tightened to 12 lbs.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1stWaffleMkr

Lesson learn, always get a est sheet stating all parts and work are warranty, they took short cuts and got caught with their pants down
Old 03-06-2009, 06:44 PM
JK Jedi

I really have to say that I hate that happened to you. It is really easy for all of us to sit here and say what we would do in this situation, but none of us really know until we are there. Not that I hope it happens to me or anyone else.

Have you used this shop for anything before? Did you provide the parts, or did they? If you supplied them I think I would ask them for the bad pinion bearing, and then call Timken or whoever made it, and tell them you just had your gears done, and the brand new bearing they made caused damage to your rear end according to the shop. If they are in fault they may pay for the complete repair. If the shop supplied the parts, then I would absolutly expect them to repair it on their dime. Hopefully the shop did not try to re-use a pinion bearing like suggested above "they took short cuts and got caught with their pants down." If that is the case, I bet the bearing was damaged when it was removed. Surely no shop in the world would do that?

BTW... Why did 3 people check the torque on the pinion?
Old 03-06-2009, 06:49 PM
JK Jedi Master

I know if mine goes out, the installer would pick up the tab without even asking him too.

Quick Reply: New Gears and Pinion Bearing Goes out