Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New gears and lockers...

Old 12-23-2009, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New gears and lockers...

So I get back a few weeks ago from a nice extended vacation on the other side of the world, and decide that I have a little bit of money saved, and well, right now would just be a fine time to drop some money getting gears and lockers.

Go to my local off road shop and they get me set up. Many thanks to Brett and the guys at Off Road Werkz in Ventura, CA for a wonderful and timely install. They took the time to go over operation with me, explain everything that was done and just had great over all customer service.

All is great, right? Well, they pointed something else out to me. Apparently, I have broken BOTH of the front coils from my Teraflex 3" lift. Anyone ever heard of this happening? The most I've ever wheeled is driving on the beach or a trail (on account of 3.21 gears and no lockers). I just don't see how this could have happened. It must be about a year old because there is rust and the Jeep has been in storage a while. Drives fine, but darnit, I am just so disappointed. Anyway, if this is endemic of Teraflex, well, maybe I need to upgrade to another brand, but I am new at this and could use any info.

On another note... I got the Daystar panel for the ARB switches, and it has interference from the rubber boot around the shifter. When moving from neutral to first it will actually turn off the front locker. Is there a different boot I can buy? Or a work around? It works somewhat if I push the boot as low as it can go, but that just seems kind of... nasty.

Sorry for all the gripes, being an inexperienced guy and all... just trying to learn.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Driver1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	34442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Passenger1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	34443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Daystar1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	34444  

Last edited by Robar; 12-23-2009 at 05:40 PM. Reason: PLEASE DO NOT POST CLICKABLE NON SPONSOR LINKS
Old 12-23-2009, 05:43 PM
JK Jedi Master

You may want to send Joe w/ TeraFlex a PM about the springs. I'm sure he would want to be aware of this and maybe check into any problem.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try to move the boot down on the shifter and use a hose clamp or something to keep it there. The daystar panel is a pos when it comes to installing in a manual. I emailed them about it, thats what they wanted me to do, pretty piss poor design if you ask me! Luckily i only installed one switch, any more would not work (like you are finding)

sucks on the coils!
Old 01-07-2010, 04:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Brett and Dave are great, I really miss having a shop like Off Road Werkz. They did a lot of work on my TJ. Whats going on with your springs?
Old 01-07-2010, 10:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, thats some weird stuff. springs are pretty damn tuff, i just cant see BOTH of them snapping like that. I kinda wonder if someone cut them trying to steal them. i dont have any TF parts, but have heard nothing but good about them. talk with them and see what they can do for you.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

That coil kinda scares me as I have the 2.5 inch coils from them.
I'd be very interested to see what Teraflex says.

Quick Reply: New gears and lockers...