Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New gears humming noise

Old 07-05-2016, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New gears humming noise

Hey guys I had new gears installed recently on my 2014 JKU with a 4.5 bds lift and 37" tires. Ever since Ive been getting this humming/roaring noise only when lightly applying gas maintaining a constant speed 25mph up to 50mph
it sounds almost like MT tires on the highway but a little higher pitched. If I push harder to accelerate the noise goes away or if i release my foot completely it also goes away. Any idea what this could be? It only started as soon as my new gears were put in.
Theres also another humming noise that comes between 58-60mph then goes away if anything faster or slower than that. It almost sounds like its coming from the wheels.
Any help or advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Old 06-29-2017, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

so did you ever find out what this was? I have a similar issue and everything I can find on other jeep forums is calling our rear pinion bearings. Curious to know what you found out.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JC's Unlimited
so did you ever find out what this was? I have a similar issue and everything I can find on other jeep forums is calling our rear pinion bearings. Curious to know what you found out.
Well it's been a year since that was happening and it still does with no issues. I took it to the same guys to have it checked last year so they took off the cover to replace the oil and everything was fine. Maybe you should try checking it to make sure nothing is grinding. But so far mine is doing fine.

Quick Reply: New gears humming noise