Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New gears!

Old 10-06-2011, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK Not to highjack this tread but I'll be doing gears in the next 2 weeks but i just can figure out what brand should I get. Could you all please recommend what brand should i be looking into?
Thanks.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ECHO
From what I gather.. The majority of gears are made by the same manufacturer, then relabeled.. I bought G2's becuase they had a great deal on them.. still waiting to install
Yeah, What he said..... I got Yukons because I have a good connection for them.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:55 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dezertjeepin
So I've got about 350 miles on the new gears now. The gears themselves are doing great and I haven't had a single noise/problem. But the locker on the other hand...

It definitely handles differently with a locker in the back, but I expected that. But this is not what I expected... If I have my foot SLIGHTLY on the throttle (almost in a neutral position. Not accelerating, nor decelerating) when I go around corners it surges/lunges back and forth. Similar to the feeling of being in a car with a newly licensed teenage driver learning how to drive a stick. I have the Spartan Locker (lunchbox style similar to Ausie/Powertrax/Loc Right) and expected a little clanking and noise from it releasing but not like this! Some corners it's fine, some it's not. Like I said, it's mostly when I'm barely touching the gas.

The second thing I think is odd... When I shift gears for the first few gears there is a quick grind like the syncros arent doing their job. If I go slow it doesn't do it, or at least it's very faint. Anyone had this issue after changing gears? I've got 60,000 the motor/trans. But I NEVER had this problem before the new gears.

Other than that everything is good and I'm super stoked about my how my first gear install went! I've got a set of 37's I'm going to put on to see if they would be a good fit so after I drive it around with those I'll let you know how I like te 4.88/37's combo over the 4.88/35's combo.
Lunch box lockers are crap for a DD driver in the rear. You shoulda got a full case Detroit. You can get away a lunch box in the front on a DD, for the rear if it was a trail only rig, yeah, cheap way to lock the rear, but the rear sees alot more stress in DD driving and its more than likely not gonna last more than a year or two in the rear. If I were you I'd have them pull it, put your spider gears back in and sell the auto locker.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Update: I finally got around to putting my buddies old 37's on the jeep after the 4.88's got installed. Man way a difference over the 35's!!!!!! When I had the 35's on there was WAY more power off the line but I still seemed to be struggling in 4/5/6 gears. I think it's because the gearing was TOO low and the shift points were at the wrong speeds. After I put the 37's on, it change all the shift points and is pretty damn perfect!!! I have more power in 3/4/5/6 gears now because instead of being at 40 MPH in 4th gear doing 2300 RPM, I'm in 3rd gear doing 25/2700 RPM. By dropping that gear and having a little higher RPM it made way more power. It also calmed down the locker somehow and it surges around corners a lot less now.

So out of this experience: I say if you want to run 35's as a daily driver I would run 4.56's with the 6 speed because 4.88's are just TOO low. If you want to run 37's with a 6 speed, go with the 4.88's. It's got good power off the line, decent freeway RPM's, and plenty of power all the way through. If you want it to have a lower crawl ratio, swap out to the 241OR for the 4:1.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I totally agree ^^^^. I'm running 4.56s with 35s and it feels perfect. I'm glad I didn't go 4.88s as I think it would have been too low. Good power in 3/4/5 and 6 now.

Quick Reply: New gears!