Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New to the game

Old 03-07-2012, 08:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say get a TeraFlex 3" kit and slap on some 35s. Then you're good to go. If you run 3" with flat fenders, you could fit 37s.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I'm new to the forum and to the Jeep world, but while shopping around for mine I spoke with/visited 3 dealerships. Two of which are into doing there own mod jobs on 1 or 2 of the JK they have in there inventory and then adding the price for parts/labor to the MSRP. With those dealerships the conversation of doing the mods myself would be much cheaper and satisfying came up. Then I was informed (of course) that when they complete the mods then its warrantied, but when you do your own it is up to the dealership if they warranty it or not, and more often than not they won't and will refer you to the lift manufacturer. When my JKU comes in I like many Jeep owners will conduct my own mods, but IMO the best way to cover yourself is to do your research and pick products that have manufacturer's warranties and make sure you are following their recommendations.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

I just put a tera 3" and 37" km2's on my 08 rubicon unlimited and absolutely love it. The ride is amazing. There is a draw on the power but totally worth it. This lift really does ride amazing. My wife drives a Lexus lx470 with air ride on it and loves the way this drives.

I also have to daily drive this and my garage is exactly 7 ft and I have a few inches clearance. I would for sure go the 37's. I drove a ton of jeeps with 35's and didn't feel a huge drag difference between the 35's and 37's.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wasn't so much worried about them covering the suspension as much as I am the drivetrain. I have the 100k mileage warranty on that.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:12 AM
JK Newbie

Definitely don't waste you time with 33s.
I was trying to choose between 35s and 37s. I chose 35 because you'll get anywhere off road you'll get with a 37 but 35s are way more driveable on road.

I am running the RC 4" X-Series suspension. It comes with all 8 adjustable control arms, new ss brakeline extensions, adjustable front track bar and obviously all the stuff any other kit includes (springs/shocks/rear track bracket/ect...). The kit is way more complete than most for a way better price. All parts have a lifetime warranty and the wall thickness and strength is as good or better than kits 1000 bucks more.

Good luck with the truck... once you start ripping the truck appart it gets addicting... you'll be broke in no time... enjoy!!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just to chime in:

You will regret 33"s.

What the dealer says regarding your warranty doesn't mean crap. There's plenty of documentation out there that lets you know what's going on warranty wise when you install mods. Really it's luck of the draw. You might have a cool dealer that will work on it no hassles. You may have an asshole dealer who will tell you your heavy bumpers cause added strain on the engine, so no warranty coverage. You may even get a dealer that flags your vehicle for no further warranty work.

Basically it's taking your warranty life into your own hands when you mod under warranty. I'm not saying any of these things will happen. But I am saying any could happen.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:53 AM
JK Newbie

I went with a 2inch lift and 33" with wider rims to get that beefier look. This is my everyday car and I am a woman, so it's just enough for me and keeps my husband happy as well.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:53 AM
JK Freak

Opinions are like A$$ holes, everyone has one... but I'll give you mine as well As said earlier, 35's seem to be the tire of choice, especially for a daily driver. I run 35's and I have a 4" Teraflex short arm... I can't complain and love ride.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:06 AM
JK Freak

Ok it seems we have similar needs and issues; ie: mine is also a DD and my garage height also 72".
So what I added about 2 years ago and have wheeled hard, but not extreme was go with a 3 1/2" lift (mine was put together by David at Northridge, but very similar to the Teraflex 3.5" lift), you will want 35's for good off road and highway combined; if you go with 15" alloy rims they will fit over the calipers, but if you go with steel rims the welds may interfer with the calipers - with that said I do suggest 15" for two reasons, 1. tires are less expensive for 15's than 16's or 17's and 2. you have more sidewall for flex off road. With any cash leftover get some skids and rock rails - good luck with your build and I hope this helps.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

WIP-
Can you post an image of your current setup?

Quick Reply: New to the game