Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New to the game

Old 03-06-2012, 08:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the game

This is my first thread posting to this forum so I hope I am doing it correctly and within the correct sub folders.

I have recently (last week) picked up my first Jeep (2012 JKU) and have been doing a lot of research. While I understand what I'm about to ask is highly subjective, I need some guidance from the true pros (you)..

Goal for my vehicle
- 3-4" lift
- 33-35" tires
- 15-17" wheels

Now the subjective part

- What lift to go with? I have spoken to a few aftermarket fab companies and they all promote differs kits from arb, teraflex, etc.
- steel vs aluminum (soft 8 vs like model aluminum)

While I would love to jack my jeep up 6", I have a few restrictions.

1. This is my daily driver vehicle
2. Height restriction with the garage door ( I must be at or under 7'2")
3. Need to stay within factory warranty (dealership said I could go up to 6" lift without breaking warranty)

There are a handful of items that I am in the middle of ordering that may/may not have an effect on your response
1. Bushwacker flat fender flares
2. Smitty built rock sliders

I have approx a $7500-10,000 budget to get this jeep built. Your help and perspective is greatly appreciated!

Ryan
Old 03-06-2012, 08:16 PM
JK Freak

Welcome. Go with 35s if not 37s. If you go 33s you will regret it. Especially if you are already considering the 35s.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh and one other question I had. I didn't go with the Rubicon and am somewhat kicking myself in the behind for it. There was a thread I read about it that somewhat confused me. Can I still make modifications to make my sport run like a rubi (sway bar disconnect)?
Old 03-06-2012, 08:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

3-4 inches of lift will be too much for 33's I think and you will very soon be wishing you had 35's. So I would say go with 35's and then with the same lift you can move up to 37's if you would like. If the dealer said you could go up to 6" of lift on warranty I would definitely get that in writing. If you want 35's to keep a clog you can do a 2.5 inch lift and do flat fenders and have plenty of room off road and for parking in your garage. with 10k you can do a lot to your jeep, I would get your rock rails on and take it offroading stock to see what you feel you need to improve on for your style of wheeling.

edit: Yes, with your sport you can still disconnect your sway bars, but you will have to get out and do it manually instead of the e-disco the rubicon has. It is very simple to do. If you are buying a lift chances are you will need new sway bar links and you can upgrade to quick discos which make it very simple to disconnect. This thread will show you how to disconnect as it sits stock.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...bicon-models)&

Last edited by OC-JK; 03-06-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:31 PM
JK Freak

Welcome and congrat. on your new buy.

There are many lift to choose from, and most of them are very high quality and reliable, so it really comes down to budget. I have an Old Man Emu set up. It is one of the most reliable and proven lift. Good for hardcore trails and great for your everyday commute as well. As far as tires, I think 33" is more than enough, then again I have a 2 dr...
35"s looks great, but they will make your JK feel heavier and MPG will go down a bit.

cheers.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

X2 on wheeling it stock for a while. You will be amazed what a bone stock JK can do, youll become a better driver, and figure out what you need.

While I don't have them yet (soon hopefully!) I would say definitely get 35s or bigger since you have the unlimited. Since its a daily driver I'd say around 3" lift. Would be perfect for 35s and with flat fenders and proper bumpstops you could probably run 37s and still fit in the garage.

As for lifts I have Teraflex and love it. Rides better than stock, fairly inexpensive, and great customer service. I also have JKS quick discos. You still have to get out to disconnect but it's super quick and easy and you don't need tools.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Congrats on the JKU.

As far as lift I would stay in the 3" range especially since your getting Bushwacker Flat Fenders. You will want 35" tires for best DD use but 37" would look fantastic.

Don't kick your self for not getting the Rubicon. You will most likely regear with the larger tires, so when you do just add a rear locker, front locker not really needed unless your going to do severe off roading,

I bough a 12 JK Sport and enjoy fixing it up the way I want it. I think is more fun, cheaper and will work better than a RUBI in the long run, just my opinion.

PS: There's nothing wrong with the RUBI's, I just prefer to build my own and it's cheaper.

Trending Topics

Old 03-07-2012, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Colorblindspy

3. Need to stay within factory warranty (dealership said I could go up to 6" lift without breaking warranty)
What dealer told you that???? I would be very skeptical of that....
Old 03-07-2012, 07:04 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by pcc999

What dealer told you that???? I would be very skeptical of that....
Haaaa! They told you that because if you go that high the amount of components you'd have to change out would be 100% of your steering and suspension, which would render the dealership free and clear of warrenty. Your warrenty would be with the aftermarket vendors after that high of a lift.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:17 AM
JK Freak

Last night the president of our club also said 6" and less is warranted, don't know which dealer said that

Quick Reply: New to the game