Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Driveshafts? When?

Old 09-05-2008, 05:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Driveshafts? When?

After installing a 3" lift kit with 35" tires on a 2dr JK Rubicon (automatic tranny)I know that the next thing to do is change the driveshafts, but how long can this wait?
Old 09-05-2008, 05:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can wait until you 1st begin to see grease being thrown onto the underbelly of your JK near the joint. Once you see that grease, everytime you drive you loose a little more of it.....then one long drive or really hard day 4 wheeling and the ballbearings in that joint will let you know they are not happy and will go looking for a new home!!
Old 09-05-2008, 05:33 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

the minute you go wheeling, your front driveshaft spline shaft boot will tear off guaranteed. but, you can drive like this for pretty much forever. granted, the grease inside will dry up in a hurry and you will most likely start to get squeaks and other related noises from it but it will still work safely enough. in the rear, most of the people i know to have try this got their rear factory drive shafts to last about 3,000 - 6,000. after that, the CV boots fatigued and tear and this allowed water and debris to get in and cause the bearing to prematurely wear out.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:11 AM
JK Freak

Get it done right away! That way you won't be caught away from home. My rear one failed around 3,000 miles and I found myself 350 miles away from home! Wish I would have had it taken care of right away.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:14 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Originally Posted by Rebel Heart
Get it done right away! That way you won't be caught away from home. My rear one failed around 3,000 miles and I found myself 350 miles away from home! Wish I would have had it taken care of right away.

It failed at 3000 miles! My JK has almost 20,000 miles and only issue is the boot is torn and tangled around my shaft.... . That sucks sorry to here about that.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:25 AM
JK-Forum Founder

typically, when the bearing in the CV start to go, you will know it by the ratcheting sound it will make. if you play in water and mud and with a compromised boot, the wearing of your joint will definitely be expedited.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ahhhh!! These are the squeaks that I was referring to in another thread....
Old 09-05-2008, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

So what is your suggestion for the replacement???
Old 09-05-2008, 07:50 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by DrDiesel
Ahhhh!! These are the squeaks that I was referring to in another thread....
are you saying that your driveshaft is squeaking? if so, would it be safe to assume that it's your front one - the one with the torn spline shaft boot? if so, you can try to apply grease to the splines and it should help for a little while.

Originally Posted by DrDiesel
So what is your suggestion for the replacement???
well, the affordable route would be to get a 1310 shaft and both teraflex and je reel make a pretty good one. if you want to spend a bit more and get something with a lot more strength, you will want to get a 1350.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
are you saying that your driveshaft is squeaking? if so, would it be safe to assume that it's your front one - the one with the torn spline shaft boot? if so, you can try to apply grease to the splines and it should help for a little while.

well, the affordable route would be to get a 1310 shaft and both teraflex and je reel make a pretty good one. if you want to spend a bit more and get something with a lot more strength, you will want to get a 1350.
Thanks for the info, I'll start with the grease on the splines and see I can hold off for a while before the replacement.

Quick Reply: New Driveshafts? When?