Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New driveshaft

Old 05-11-2011, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JCS78
Can you replace the front shaft with an aftermarket one without replacing the rear?
I bought my jeep used with an aftermarket rear shaft and the front is still stock should I remove the boot off the front?
Old 05-13-2011, 11:18 AM
JK Newbie

I also have an auto with a 4'' lift that has gone on for over 25,000 miles and over 3 years without the factory boot on the drive shaft. Just this week i noticed that the front cv joint style coupling has failed and started to sling grease around. So i decided to replace it. I will tell you that i am glad that the coupling gave out when it did because during the removal of my drive shaft i noticed that the drive shaft had sized up where the factory boot is located at. I know it had to have been causing additional stress to my transfer case and drive train. Sure glad i did not damage anything else. So just make sure to inspect you dive shaft frequently until you replace it with an after market one.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:05 PM
JK Freak

hmm, this thread has me wondering. I'm about to throw in some 4.5" coils tomorrow on my 2DR and I'm wondering if I'll be able to get by with my stock driveshafts for a couple of days? or is it likely that I'll have terrible vibes?
Old 05-13-2011, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

I put a 4 inch on my 2dr and just put coast 1310 shafts front and rear some say that u don't have to do front but I must say she drives a lot better smoother at upper speeds if ur lookn for shafts I would definitely recommend coast shafts and dave at northridge has the hook up great service (thanks dave) I tried haven a local shop build them and they couldn't come close to the price and all wanted to do adapters (no way yokes the way) and thanks to mkjeep for install help the guys here are more help than any local 4wd shop!!!!! Northridge and dave have yet to let me be disappointed
Old 05-13-2011, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

As for bad vibes mine wasn't to.bad some can go long ways so I hear me I just can't stop playing with my yeep its a disease
Old 05-13-2011, 09:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you have a 2 door, you will definitely need to replace the rear, even if you never take it off road. I don't think a 4 door is as bad. Go with Tatton. They are located around Moab and have been building crawler shafts for years. I bought mine for $400 delivered to my door in 2 days. I have a 2 door with 5" lift and 36" Swampers. I've got 50k on mine and still running the stock front shaft with no problems. If you have the good lift with all the necessary components, your front should last a while. You'll defiinitely want to have adjustable upper control arms in the rear when you upgrade your rear shaft. These are necessary to get your angle right.

Quick Reply: New driveshaft