Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Control Arms Needed - What to buy?

Old 03-29-2015, 03:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Control Arms Needed - What to buy?

Right now I'm running an RE 3.5 super flex on my 2 dr JK. Most of my bushings are shot, so I went to the task of replacing them. Turns out that RE made the set screws that hold the serviceable end of the join out of kryptonite. I've taken the arms to 4 different shops, of the 8 arms, the set screws are still in all but 3. I am thinking that new control arms are in order, because not only can I (nor any 4wd shop around) not get these set screws out, but the lift has less than 30k miles and I don't want to do this every few thousand miles.

So, long story short, if I need to replace all the control arms on the jeep, what should I go with? I was consider a long arm, but I've been running 35's and I pretty happy with them, and don't know that I want to go too much bigger. I wheel it pretty hard, pretty often, but it's still a DD.

I have been looking at the TeraFlex Monster Flexarm Kit. Would I be good to run this with my RE 3.5 coils, or would I need to upgrade to TF's 4 coils as well? Any suggestions are more than welcome, hoping to have the Jeep up and running within a week or two for some spring Turkey hunting!!
Old 03-29-2015, 04:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run Curries , I like there stuff kinda spendy but you get what you pay for.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sent you a PM. I currently have RK but switching to Metalcloak cause k like new things evert once in a while.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Sent you a PM. I currently have RK but switching to Metalcloak cause k like new things evert once in a while.
Just replied to the PM. Hadn't looked at Metalcloak yet, but they look good. Might have to check them out as well.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:09 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

RK came out with a joint recently that is somewhat similar to MC's. Haven't seen any comparisons between them, but it's another option.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:35 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
RK came out with a joint recently that is somewhat similar to MC's. Haven't seen any comparisons between them, but it's another option.
Very different but similar. The RK's new joint more closely resembles a spherical joint.
The rubber bushing material fully encases the ball and soft.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-896224676.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	604000  
Old 03-30-2015, 04:29 AM
Former Vendor

You can go with any brand CA that you want to without having to change your springs out. As for which brand, It's personal preference. Just stick with a quality manufacturer (like TeraFlex, Rock Krawler, Synergy, Metal Cloak, Clayton, or Currie) and you will be fine.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:43 PM
JK Newbie

Quick update for anybody that cared!!

I called 4wpw this morning to get some recommendations and to see what was in stock since they are local and I wanted to get it done quick. They told me that they set screws shouldn't seize up like that, and that if their techs couldn't get them out, then they would just warranty them for me. Long story short, I was able to get them out of the front, so I reuse those 4 arms, but they warrantied the rear and gave me new ones!! All in all, a great outcome!
Old 03-30-2015, 03:03 PM
JK Newbie

Now THAT is what i call putting the customer first. Good for them and you.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran Teraflex for a while but my wife didn't like the "harshness" of the ride. I switched to Metalcloak and have been very happy with the ride and the articulation.

Quick Reply: New Control Arms Needed - What to buy?