Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Clunk Sound at low speed/turn

Old 03-25-2010, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New Clunk Sound at low speed/turn

My TF BB install has been trouble free for over a month. This morning I appear to have gotten my first issue.

Backing up and turning, and then starting out slowing and turning (left or right) I am hearing 1 or 3 "clunks" as the vehicle starts / weight transfer occurs.

This is only happening at slow speed. Once you are moving along..there is no noise and no issues turning, etc...

Again..no issues with vibration, jumpy steering, etc. Its only when going from a stop and turning / to straighten out...

I can tell the noise is from the front.. and I think its from the driver side.

I checked the lug nuts and they are fine. I tugged on all the suspension components and none felt loose.

My suspension setup is: TF Perf BB with shocks, JKS discos, TF adj trackbar.

Can anyone identify the problem based on the issue described? A friend also suggested maybe the front drive shaft? I'm 6sp manual, 2.5lift, and was only in 2w drive at the time...

Tonight I will get out the tools and see if anything will tighten down further...
Old 03-25-2010, 08:54 AM
JK Freak

I had a loose sway link that would clunk going backward to forward and every time the vehicle would lean. It was driving me nuts so I had a friend jump up and down on the bumper until I found the noise.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

thx for the replies. I'll torque everything down and see if that finds the culprit.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

All the bolts are tight. The only thing I've noticed is the tie rod bar (? where the steering stabilizer attaches) is pretty easily to twist. The end is connected to the driver wheel via a joint... So maybe its always supposed to move that easily (same with the bar above it) When it twist it by hand to the extreme, I hear it clank.

I'm not sure if thats the actual noise I hear when driving/turning, but it does seem like the design is supposed to twist...

grasping at straws here :-\
Old 03-25-2010, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

yea i double checked the shocks..really shook them..no problems.. made sure the bottom bolts and the top screws were secure.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:39 PM
JK Newbie

Check your battery. Mine was loose and "clanked" side to side when leaving the drive way, and on sharp, slow-speed turns. Drove me nuts until I found it. Fixed it with a piece of 1/8" tube squished between battery and battery hold-down.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

checked the battery..its secure..good suggestion tho!

I might try taking the whole shock off too. cant hurt to test!
Old 03-26-2010, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

problem SOLVED!

It was the driver top swaybar JKS disconnect pin. The bolt had gotten a bit loose and allowed for the pin to jiggle. I thought I had used plenty of loctite! Anyway.. tightened it up and its good.

Only troubling thing to be is that the pin was able to jiggle up and down with the bolt not being firm.. .to me that sounds like the pin is not the same diameter as the sway bar hole... and will over time elongate the hole and this will happen even with the bolt tight!
Old 03-26-2010, 04:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by PCHSahara
problem SOLVED!

It was the driver top swaybar JKS disconnect pin. The bolt had gotten a bit loose and allowed for the pin to jiggle. I thought I had used plenty of loctite! Anyway.. tightened it up and its good.

Only troubling thing to be is that the pin was able to jiggle up and down with the bolt not being firm.. .to me that sounds like the pin is not the same diameter as the sway bar hole... and will over time elongate the hole and this will happen even with the bolt tight!
I thought I had enough loctite on mine too but that is exactly what they did. This time around I tied two wrenches together (end to end) to get extra leverage and torqued the suckers down with enough force to squat the front end. They aren't going anywhere anymore.

Quick Reply: New Clunk Sound at low speed/turn