Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New cat back installed....

Old 02-20-2009, 02:15 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New cat back installed....

I got a 18" X 4" Magnaflow round stainless muffler the other day. I finally got a chance to take it in to my friend's shop today. He fabbed me up a real nice cat back using all the stock mounting locations. I was afraid it was going to be too loud, but it's not. It sounds good. No ricer sound at all. Not even a little. Even more surprising was a very nocitable improvement in the power band RIGHT where it needed it. Now when I go up a slight incline, no torque converter unlock, no downshift. It actually accelerates. Of course, anything more than a slight incline and it's still a different story, but I can still tell a nice improvement. If any of yall are considering a mod involving this type muffler, go for it. I may try to get some sound clips up.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:31 AM
JK Jedi

Here are a couple of pics. Although not mandrel bent, my buddy is quite talented with a standard block and die bender. He used the largest diameter bend possible over the axle to give more room for stuffage and to aid in smooth exhaust flow. I thought it turned out real nice.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CATBACK.jpg
Views:	1480
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	19620   Click image for larger version

Name:	CATBACK1.jpg
Views:	1334
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	19621  
Old 02-21-2009, 08:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks Good!

How about interior sound levels at cruise speeds?

In my haste to get an exhaust out of the gate on my 2007 I went with the Banks, but nearly ever since I've had the itch to relocate the can. No complaints with the performance, but could have got it done with a substantially lower outlay of cash.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

looks really good
Old 02-21-2009, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wish I went your route. I just installed banks, It is okay. I knew it wasn't going to sound like a V8 but thought it would sound a little better. I will be ordering the mbrp Exhaust and selling banks.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:41 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JPop
Looks Good!

How about interior sound levels at cruise speeds?

In my haste to get an exhaust out of the gate on my 2007 I went with the Banks, but nearly ever since I've had the itch to relocate the can. No complaints with the performance, but could have got it done with a substantially lower outlay of cash.
It's much better than I could have ever hoped for. With the radio off, when I stab on it to go up a hill, it's pretty noticable. When I'm at regular cruise speed, it's almost as quiet as stock. It's not like these sumbitches don't have any road noise...they ain't Cadillacs. With the radio at the level I normally listen to ......about half way, maybe a little less, even when stabbin on it up a hill it's almost not noticable. It never "drones", if that's what you're worried about. I'll try to get some clips up later on. The power difference really took me by complete surprise. It's no 50 horse gain, but I really gotta say I can honest feel it. I never thought I would.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:09 PM
JK Jedi

As promised, here is a clip of interior noise. That's Scruffy on the dash. I love rabbits. He's my ridin partner.

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h2...=EXHAUST-1.flv
Old 02-22-2009, 02:46 AM
JK Jedi

Nice, not loud at all. What was the total cost?
Old 02-22-2009, 03:18 AM
JK Junkie

That's about a perfect amount of interior noise. Enough for audible cues to switch gears and not enough to have a drone that is above the wind noise or stereo.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:42 AM
JK Junkie

Looks really good. Did the same with mine except using a Flowmaster. One of the best mods you can do, frees up a lot of space under the rear of te Jeep.

Quick Reply: New cat back installed....