Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Bumper, Winch On Order--What Would You Do?

Old 02-09-2008, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I'm really just interested in putting 32s on the JK. . .
I know you said you don't want to go 17's, but if you only want to go with 32's, then I'd seriously look into a set of Rubi take offs.

I siped ours with 2500 miles on them and they've now got over 35k on them and still have over half tread left. I've been quite happy with them.

Just a thought.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Actually, the SR-A's on mine are 32's from the factory (255/75/17's)

Any rim up to 8" can handle a tire wider than you would mount...so a 10" rim is just too wide for the tires you're talking about...

Unless you are talking about monster WIDE 32" tires, like 32x14.5's or something.

The stock 7.5" wide rims take even 13" tires in stride for offroading...and 12.5's are commonly used....even on 7" rims.

So - the stock backspacing is 6.25", and can handle up to a 285 mm section width (11.5") tire with out much trouble...

The stock tires come as 32's....so upping to 33's is easy, they only stick out another 0.5".

IE: A 33x11.5 tire IS a stock size with a bit more width....and, it would fit on any rim that had less than 6" of BS very easily.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:23 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Thanks, everyone, for your comments; I really do appreciate them! So here's what I'm currently thinking:

The Cragar 352 black street lock steel wheels. 16x8. 4.0 inch backspacing.

The Dick Cepek Radial F-C II tire. 33.0 inch, LT285/75R16, 11.30 tread width.

I think that tire fits my need for street/wet weather performance, while giving me a boost in off-road performance. Anyone foresee any clearance problems with this combination? Any other thoughts? Again, I appreciate everyone's input!

Edit: I have the 4:10 rear end (07 trailer pkg).

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 02-09-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:25 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Hip2u77
I know you said you don't want to go 17's, ...
I did say that, didn't I? Actually what I meant to say was the 17s are not available in that particular line of rims. I should have been more clear.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:35 AM
JK Freak

I thought I saw some used 285's in the 4 sale section.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:11 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by TEEJ
... IE: A 33x11.5 tire IS a stock size with a bit more width....and, it would fit on any rim that had less than 6" of BS very easily.
Teej--I've been reading through several of the tire/wheel threads and I just want you to know that I really appreciate your obviously expert advice!
Old 02-11-2008, 03:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if i was in your place i would go with tires keep the stock rims they look good and if you feel the need to be differnt have them powder coated take the 5-6 hundred and put it twords skid plate/under armor
Old 02-11-2008, 04:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was able to sell my stock steelies and goodyears for $300 on Craigslist locally...something to think about. I really like those Cragars.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:06 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Well, I did it. I've got new Dick Cepek FC-IIs--LT285/75R16s on order. These are 33" tires. I figured that could let me hold off on lifting the JK for a while. Will mount these on ProComp 7089 16x8 wheels. After looking at the ProComp equivalent of the Cragar wheels I'd originally selected (see image above), I decided they didn't appeal to me all that much. Basically, they look like the Soft 8s with a narrow metal band bolted to the inside lip of the wheel inset, then with some cadmium-plated bolts tacked on to give the appearance of a bead lock. Both my son and I agreed they looked great in the pic's--but not so great in real life (I'm trying to be nice here, just in case someone else has bought these ). So, we really like the 7089s, which are an all flat-black alloy wheel. Anyway, the new wheels, tires will be mounted and on the JK next Monday afternoon.

I may still be able to spring for a little more. I'm thinking Lightforce lights for the new Shrockworks bumper. And I'm thinking of perhaps a new rear bumper. Any suggestions? I want a swing-out tire carrier, and I'd really like to keep the stock trailer hitch. Jerry can and High Lift mounts would be really nice, too. I like the Shrockworks rear bumper because of the back-up lights (a real problem for me in one particular place where the road I must back up is dark, narrow, winding and lined with trees). But I don't know if that will do all that I want it to. Ideas, anyone?
Old 02-26-2008, 03:16 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Default New Tires and Wheels

Okay, I originally thought I was going to get the Cragar Street Beadlocks. Well, I went to the local Four Wheel Parts and looked at a similar ProComp wheel. And I really didn't like it. As I've said elsewhere, I generally don't like "fake" things (plastic wood grain finish, gold plating, etc) and the street beadlocks reinforce that. Looked great in the images, but not so great in real life. So, I bought some ProComp 7089s. Those are Dick Cepek FC-IIs on there--33". There's a Rough Country 2.5" BB and shocks on order. Here are the images:

The "JEEP" on the front will be removed when the weather warms up:

What a difference in appearance:

I'm still waiting on the Shrockworks front bumper. I'm starting to get antsy.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 02-26-2008 at 03:18 PM.

Quick Reply: New Bumper, Winch On Order--What Would You Do?