Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Bumper, Winch On Order--What Would You Do?

Old 02-08-2008, 09:18 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts
Default New Bumper, Winch On Order--What Would You Do?

Well, over the last few weeks I've ordered the Shrockworks mid-width bumper, a Warn Powerplant, synthetic line, snatch block, tree saver and aluminum fairlead. I figure that once I get the bumper/winch installed I'll be measuring the height loss up front to install spacers to correct the lift. This will go on my otherwise modestly modded JK--Shrockworks rock rails, etc--look at the sig line.

Oh, I also have Wetokoles on order because once warmer weather arrives I intend to drive most of the time with just the Mopar Sunbonnet.

Anyway, I may have a little bit of cash left. I'm really resisting the temptation to buy new wheels/tires at this point--the tires are stock Goodyear Wranglers, but I sure don't like the thought of replacing them so early in their life.

Anyway, where would you go next? A factor to consider: Once I'm done with these mods, it will be about two years before I can afford anything much more expensive because my son is entering college and I'm entering a phase of significantly reduced monthly income. So whatever I end up with better keep me satisfied for that time!
Old 02-08-2008, 09:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then you DEFINITELY need to go with tires. What good will a winch and rock rails do if you can't even get to the point where you need to use them since your tires won't take you very far in an offroad situation (ie. offroading and wheeling NOT some snow on the street).
Old 02-08-2008, 09:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Anyway, where would you go next?
GO WHEELING !!!
Old 02-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Well, over the last few weeks I've ordered the Shrockworks mid-width bumper, a Warn Powerplant, synthetic line, snatch block, tree saver and aluminum fairlead. I figure that once I get the bumper/winch installed I'll be measuring the height loss up front to install spacers to correct the lift. This will go on my otherwise modestly modded JK--Shrockworks rock rails, etc--look at the sig line.
I have the mid-width and the Power Plant and I needed a one inch spacer to compensate. Stance looks good now.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

You could compromise and keep the stock rims, but get (5) new larger tires, Like 35'S... and a 1" bl. to make room for them to stuff. (Get a set of 1.5" Wheel spacers if you are getting 12.5" wide tires, etc...for a total of about $200.)

That saves the typical $150 - $250 per new rim cost for 5 new rims (Spare's gotta match if you have lockers, traction control, etc...)

The 35's will improve your total ground clearance, including axles/diffs, and really improve flotation and traction.

Sell the almost new stock tires while they are still pretty...to defray some of the above costs.

Depending upon the cash left - think about JKS coil spacers (ACOS), as they are adjustable, and will let you fix the winch/bumper sag, plus allow fine tuning for rake, etc.....w/o having to take things apart to change heights (Adjustable in place)

.......or, just get regular coil spacers, like 1" or so - to get back to factory rake height, or the TF BB to get level up front, etc.

Longer shocks will let you keep the tires on the ground/the rig stable/add articulation.

If the difference between NOT getting 5 new rims and the other stuff works out (5 X ~ $200 = ~ $1,000, etc...) ...

....Then you will gain real performance for that $ instead of bling.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:20 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
... your tires won't take you very far in an offroad situation (ie. offroading and wheeling NOT some snow on the street).
I know, I know. But, I was pretty impressed with what they did at Disney:

JackMackOKC guiding, my son driving my JK, RescueX behind him and Armycop taking up the rear JK slot.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:36 AM
JK Super Freak

You had to know we were all going to say it.

NEW TIRES!!!

Like Teej said, selling the stock stuff will help offset the cost. I did that with mine and it paid for the new wheels. You have such a nice set-up that it seems a shame to not top it off with the right rubber.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:37 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by TEEJ
You could compromise and keep the stock rims, but get (5) new larger tires, Like 35'S...
35s will fit okay on the stock 16" rims? Anyway, once I do get tires I was really just planning to go with 32s. Actually, I'm not really into fancy, expensive alloy wheels for my JK. I'd prefer steel wheels, but something that doesn't scream "stock". I think that the Cragar Series 352 Black Street Lock "D" Window Wheels would look great on my Jeep Green JK (see it above):

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92600_1XX_A_PG.htm

I could probably swing a set of those with modest tires with the cash I have left. I'm just trying to convince myself to get rid of the fairly new stock rims and tires.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

You could always do something funky with the stock wheels like get them powder coated to change up the look without paying for new wheels. As for tires definately shop around, check ebay, and once you find a couple that you like call the folks and bid them off of one another. The price you see isn't necessarily the price you have to pay. One other thing is to take your rig with you the local tire/wheel places and see what kind of credit they would give you for your stock stuff...you never know unless you ask. Good luck and definately post pics.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:09 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Okay, consensus seems to be new wheels, tires. I like the Cragar 352s and they seem pretty modestly priced. Image is a hack job of them onto my JK before I did any mod's. Size choice would be either 16x8 or 16x10. No 17s or larger. I'm really just interested in putting 32s on the JK (from the Wrangler SR-As which are what, 28?). Interested in your thoughts on 16" size limit, as well as tire recommendations (size, brand, model).

Quick Reply: New Bumper, Winch On Order--What Would You Do?