Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

NEW BUILD - 3.5" AEV SC Lift - Just Arrived!

Old 02-11-2013, 11:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeeping4Fun
Took it out this weekend to test out the new suspension lift and ride. Did very well so far even though I wasn't hard on it until I get my ds in. Ran up to the mountains via forest service road to four peaks and found some AZ snow.

Gotta love it ....Looks awesone. Congrats.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

How did it handle on the road?
Old 02-11-2013, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HG07JKRubi
Gotta love it ....Looks awesone. Congrats.
Thanks!! I appreciate it.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Shell
How did it handle on the road?
It handles very well on the road. It has a small shimmy in the wheel but I'm a believer that it is my tires that are causing it.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

Looks GREAT!! Wow one day start to finish with ds. Mine was spread out a little more than that and still have ds sitting on garage floor. Went to install yesterday but found out I needed an impact and possibly a puller so went out to try out suspension for first time yesterday. Ya there was a lot of things not mentioned in there about all the holes you need to open up and some that you need to create like on the front lower shock mount relocation brackets.

Also like the RICO steps as well but thinking I am gonna end up with the LOD ones.

So now that you have had it on for a few days what is your impression of it and the way it drives?
Ya, started with me and my buddy then two more guys came and handled installing driveshaft and geometry brackets. I think it handles great on road. Going to go flex it out tomorrow on a ramp. One thing i noticed is that there is a slight driveline vibration I'm guessing is from the double cardon joint. Anyone else experience that?
Old 02-11-2013, 06:26 PM
JK Newbie

Yep 8 boxes here too. Did you get the front done? The rear is just a training session to get you warmed up for the front. Also yes you can drive without geometry correction brackets. Not very well but it can drive. I had to do this in the interest of time on my install. If you need any photos of the install I did or of anything specific pm me.
Yeah I got the front done on Sunday. The worst part on the front was trying to pry open the stock brake line brackets on the axle to get the line out. For such shitty looking steel man that was a fight. I'll have to check what I wrote down but I think I ended up with 3.5" up in the front. I do have a warn elite and winch on there though. Left all the control arms and track bar bolts loose cause I figured I was going to get my brackets soon.

Heard back from Northridge.ca this morning, they forgot to tell me they were out of stock on them I wont see any till the end of the month. Would have been nice to know before I got this far. I'll probably torque everything down this week and center my steering wheel and just park the thing in the driveway till I get the parts. If I have to limp it to work I will but I'm not excited about drinving it with the castor so far out. Kind of annoyed.

Its my first JK lift (well I had a leveling kit before), but its definatly a different kit. Its far from my first lift install, but its sure a different take on a solid axle lift it seems. Theres a bracket for everything. I bought based on reviews and I liked the idea of matched springs and shocks. I gotta tow a 2000lbs camper with the family in the truck so I wanted something that wasnt going to act up on the highway. I cant wait to test drive it whenever the rest of my parts show up. I'm hoping all the good reviews on road manners are true.

Last edited by AndrewJ; 02-11-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for this thread. I've been watching it as I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on the AEV 3.5 lift. I've considered what's out there and run several different brands on various Jeeps over the years, and quite frankly, on-road is where I spend most of my time, sadly. AEV seems to be King/Queen of the road and competent off, not excellent, but competent. Should suit me fine for our summer trips to Colorado where we'll wheel about 2 days and rest of the time is spent hiking/backpacking, relaxing in a high mountain meadow by a stream.

I'd like to hear a detailed report of your on-road handling compared with stock.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chrisjsmith4

Ya, started with me and my buddy then two more guys came and handled installing driveshaft and geometry brackets. I think it handles great on road. Going to go flex it out tomorrow on a ramp. One thing i noticed is that there is a slight driveline vibration I'm guessing is from the double cardon joint. Anyone else experience that?
I'm pretty sure the vibration is because of a bad pinion angle. Everything I've read on replacing a driveshaft requires upper adjustable control arms to adjust the pinion angle.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:03 AM
JK Newbie

Good call. I think ill just leave it. I also have a shimmy at 40-50 mph. Like it wants to DW. Going to see about tire balance first then look into alignment.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:20 AM
JK Newbie

Default Drake Latches

Drake latches back from paint. I think its going to look good

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1705.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	421827

Quick Reply: NEW BUILD - 3.5" AEV SC Lift - Just Arrived!