Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

NEW BUILD - 3.5" AEV SC Lift - Just Arrived!

Old 02-01-2013, 10:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW BUILD - 3.5" AEV SC Lift - Just Arrived!

Just bought a 13' Rubicon Unlimited on January 25th and it feels like I have been ordering stuff every day since. The big brown truck just dropped off 8 boxes of Made in the USA AEV lift. I have been posting on other threads regarding which lift to go with (RK or AEV) and after deciding to go with the AEV I figured I would start a new thread documenting the installation of it and my impression of it from installation and on road experiences. And also the installation and impressions of the numerous boxes of goodies that haven't arrived yet. I ended up with the AEV after it became highly recommended, for my use, by NR. There is a link below to the lift I ordered. Those prices also included shipping. They had also recommended at the very least to go with exhaust spacers for clearance or a new drive shaft. I went the new drive shaft route not wanting to modify the existing exhaust system and potentially having a leak or problems. I went with the Coast 1310 and there is a link below of the one I ordered. I chose the AEV for a few reasons. Mainly wanted the best on road driving possible due to this is my dd and I am 98% onroad with 2% offroad. During the 2% offroading I mainly stay to stuff that isn't big rocks to get over or dropping off any ledges. I like to go out and do more exploring and sometimes travel a good distance to get there. I don't mind trying out a few fun trails off the beaten path but honestly the Rubicon in stock form probably does more than a lot of people really know. Like riding a 1,000cc sport bike and tuning it to go faster with programmers and exhaust only to have something that most people never tap into the potential of in stock format. Nevertheless its fun to customize and come on it looks way better too. I do also like the fact that the local jeep dealers install AEV brand lifts and thought if I had any warranty problems I might be better off having a lift that they install. I am currently running 35" x 12.50's MTR/K on stock suspension and stock Rubicon wheels (like a lot didn't like at first but have grown on me and like them a lot now) with 1.5" spacers and the removal of the air dam for clearance. If anyone is wondering how this setup works. It doesn't do very well at all and should only be temporary. It clears fine turning and on road driving but would never attempt to go offroad even a little bit or take a speed bump sideways with more than one person inside as i am sure you will rub. I wanted to go with a setup that would allow me to run 37's and knowing that I might have to possibly install flat fenders at the same time. Hopefully it won't be too long before I can update this thread as I am installing this kit myself during off hours. Which are very few on a daily basis. I had called around to find a shop to perform the work but to my surprise nobody was familiar with AEV installs and not that they are probably much different but I was hoping to find someone that had done one before. The jeep dealers around here do offer AEV upgrades on the other hand but they wanted close to a $1K = No thanks! So my jeep and myself are going to get to know each other better it looks like!

Lift:
AEV 3.5 inch JK DualSport SC Suspension 4-Door (N0234100AA)

Drive Shaft:
Coast JK 1310 Rear 4-Door Drive Shaft

Just off the showroom floor:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0130.jpg
Views:	1273
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	416997

Name:	IMG_0145.jpg
Views:	1149
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	416998

Stock suspension with 35's and wheel spacers:

Name:	IMG_0142.jpg
Views:	1377
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	416999

AEV 3.5" SC Lift + Coast front drive shaft:

Name:	IMG_0147.jpg
Views:	1005
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	417000
Old 02-01-2013, 11:16 AM
JK Freak

Could you take pics of the install, cover pitfalls, if any?

Ive looked at this lift several times, but am leaning towards Teraflex 4" LCG. But not yet sold on it.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:01 PM
JK Newbie

I'm excited for you! Can't wait to hear your reviews.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Congrats!!! Make sure to post some pics when done!!
Old 02-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Going to be a nice build
Old 02-01-2013, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

I will definitely take lots of photos throughout the whole install.

Just ordered drake hood hold downs with black turn buckles and some staun auto tire deflators.

Trying to make decision tonight on side rails but struggling with which ones. I figure I should get those coming shortly after lift. I don't want ones that weld onto the jeep. Wouldn't mine ones that weld on rubicon rails though. But looking very closely at the psc DIY kit and the ace ones. I would really like some that curve up at an angle like the ace ones but maybe more with a step like the psc ones. Anyone know of any that might meet those needs.

Also think I'm gonna order the teraflex tire carrier tonight. Everyone seams to have great reviews and I feel like the jeep will be on 37's next week so better make preparations for the carrier. I always thought I would end up with bumper tire carrier but really like the teraflex one and how it still operates with the gate. I haven't figured out how I will incorporate the rotopax but I remember one time seeing something that strapped around the spare tire giving you mounting locations for stuff. Maybe that might work.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Doing a similar build I will check in to see how yours turns out. Still waiting on my AEV lift and bumpers to show up. Got my pintlers and 35" ready to go on.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mgimelli
Doing a similar build I will check in to see how yours turns out. Still waiting on my AEV lift and bumpers to show up. Got my pintlers and 35" ready to go on.
Thats awesome. Sure it will turn out very nice. Still thinking of what wheels to go with. When I pulled into the jeep dealership I thought that I new exactly what I was going to buy until I saw a project jeep they did with the aev lift and pintlers and needless to say i changed my total direction with that jeep in mind. Definitely thinking of the pintler wheels but havent decided yet. cant wait to see posts of your build as well.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:05 PM
JK Newbie

First Update On Build:

Gonna make this quick and sweet as details will follow later and I am tired and bleeding . Trying to type with electrical tape on three fingers so please don't judge. I got the back all completed as the picture below wil show. First off would like to thank Krispyjeep for his messages and willing to help on this project.He was very helpful as he has done quite a few of these. Going to post some of the notes I took and will go into detail more later if your interested. So here are my notes:

Working on clean vehicle with 100 miles or so is nice
Do not buy biggest jackstands you can get at harbor freight
When buying jacks stands at harbor freight make sure to pull off your wheels and put under jeep in case cheap ass jack stands fail
Instructions that come with your parts suck!
Drilling holes is required for the rear but only after using common sense and looking at other lift kit installation instructions from AEV
New trackbar that was included goes where????? I put it on the rear??
Should all these lines be so tight when trying to install the springs??
Definitely disconnect all wiring clips and hoses that can be with little work as this will make it much easier
GET NEW BRAKE LInes. I don't like bending the existing brakelines to make brackets work and upset that i had to. I will order immediately
4" exactly gained to rear but keep in mind no bumpers and hasn't settled if it is going to
Have to extend rear end breather tube which isn't mentioned anywhere.
DIRECTIONS SUCK!

Those are the notes I wrote during the rear install and I wil elaborate on them later. Another note woud be that stock suspension on 35's is ok until you load up a bunch of tools and a new jack and stands in the rear. Drove 20mph on the way home because it rubbed the whole way. I can tell already that in the rear with 35's after the lift will still definitely require cutting pinch seams and stock rubi rails. I absolutely on the other hand love the height gain from this lift and am looking forward to completing this project. The rear with two people took me 3.5 hrs total and hope that the front doesn't have any surprises like the rear. By my measurements the rear went from a measurement of 38" to 42" before and after. It looks so good and cant wait to do the front.

been a long day at work and build and now ready to get back at it tomorrow. Dont think i will have front done tomorrow with family in town but will keep you updated. Cant wait to see how it drives on the road!! I took lots of photos and will update soon.

Did I mention that the diretions Suck!

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	834
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	417619
Old 02-02-2013, 08:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I feel your pain.
I was helping a friend install his and I was cussing out AVE and Billistien. Directions were almost pointless and they should provide brake lines those stupid brackets.

Quick Reply: NEW BUILD - 3.5" AEV SC Lift - Just Arrived!